Search the forum,

Discuss 120m2 Garage Floor Tiling Price Check in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Why decouple if there's no UFH?

Yeah if there's no ufh don't bother uncoupling as Pete says. The reason I said I would if I were to do my job again was, it was a heated floor and the customer and designer had me use 2mm joints.

M

moomarine

So sorry to be a pain but I'm getting slightly confused now. Can I confirm that I am OK to just tile straight onto the SLC that is on top of sand and cement screed? The floor has no underfloor heating? It's just the weight of the cars that are a problem?

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
So are you saying direct to screed then? I think it's because of the weight of the vehicles going onto the tiles.[/QUOTE
A decoupler is to protect against lateral movement, the screed expanding and contracting as it heats and cools, it wont make any difference with regards to the weight being applied from vehicles

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
So sorry to be a pain but I'm getting slightly confused now. Can I confirm that I am OK to just tile straight onto the SLC that is on top of sand and cement screed? The floor has no underfloor heating? It's just the weight of the cars that are a problem?
That's fine to tile direct. I've tiled loads of car showrooms on both new and old screeds and never decoupled.

M

moomarine

That's fine to tile direct. I've tiled loads of car showrooms on both new and old screeds and never decoupled.
Ahh cheers for that I didn't read Bri's post properly! So it's just the heat when the membrane is required! So I quite alright to tile the porcelain onto the screed. The guy I'm doing it for bought the same tiles that a local car garage used for there show room, so they should be fine.

Reply to 120m2 Garage Floor Tiling Price Check in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen