Search the forum,

Discuss Working on site :( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

Just finished a job on a site, well a shop renovation.

As this was my first time on a site I had all materials supplied, so I was told on the phone by the shop fitters director, and they needed me to just turn up and tile, mosaics in a toilet and kitchen, everythings freshly plasterboarded and a light skim, and all ready to tile.

Sound I thought, their shop fitters and I've been told everything I could possibly need will be there.
Turned up at the shop and the freshly fixed and skimed boards in the large disabled toilet are really a mix of bare plasterboard "snapped right at the middle height of the walls with gaps, bends and slightly bowing in some places.

Great I thought.

I was told I needed to tile upto the last full mosaic tile before the middle of the room, so that was good as they were gonna fill the joins and paint, then I was told to tile past the joins :sad_smile: as the painters said it wouldn't fill and paint.

Got the whole toilet tiled and was just finishing off the grouting and along comes the joined and starts hammering and chisling the friggin door frame, baring in mind the walls are only flimsy stud walls.
Nightmare, groutlines cracking everwhere, walls flexing on the center lines kicking a full row of tiles loose n all.

Fixed up damaged grout lines best I could, ended to having to relay a whole top strip, scrape out and re-grout..... arghh !!!!!

No silicone to do expansion joints, had to grout them instead, and for some reason the Ardex grout they had, left white residue all over the tile faces no matter how small an area I grouted and cleaned up at a time, or what blend I did, it still left a horrific white coating, and no tile cleaner to speak of.

All in all a nightmare of a job, lol

Now I have to invoice them for payment too :icon9:

Don't know if I would do shop fitters tiling again, don't like being out of the loop when it comes to materials.

Anyway, enough for now, congratulations if you've made it this far, lol

G

GazTech

This was the shopping centre job,wasn't it.Think its just bad luck you followed crap workmen Adam.I did some pub work and as soon as I had placed tiles into white star,to**er plumber was in drilling holes for cisterns....on f***ing hammer action....it was the last pub job I ever did.Give me domestic( on my own) anytime lol

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

Yeah in the shopping center.

All in all I guess it was experiance, good or bad... Im not quite sure, lol

oh and I forgot, the walls were not 90 degrees either, well one was, the other 2 were at summit like 45, with upto 5 mil difference half way to the bottom in width.

Just thought.... do you only need one of them cards... cscs or whatever you call them on actual building sites, or did I need one for working with shop fitters ?

G

GazTech

Yeah in the shopping center.

All in all I guess it was experiance, good or bad... Im not quite sure, lol

oh and I forgot, the walls were not 90 degrees either, well one was, the other 2 were at summit like 45, with upto 5 mil difference half way to the bottom in width.
lmao...the more you do..the more you know

G

guy1976

feckin no need for c,s,c,s on some sites only when the main contractor specifies it is required for whole site you should have explained to joiner what damage he was doing to your work whilts fitting the door frame then left him to it. then went back afterwards with a camera and took pics then when you put your invoice in bill them for extras for repairs with pics to show

D

DHTiling

sods law int it.as soon as you turn your back some t**t wants to be drilling the tiles before they are dry...its a hard life as a tiler....dave....

F

faithhealer

Did an Indian restaurant floor once, no sooner had I laid the last tiles they were fitting seats on top! Add this to the electricians, decorators, mirror fitters, sign fitters, beer pump engineers, window cleaners, and half of calcutta walking all over my newly laid tiles!!
fun fun fun

F

Fekin

Well, I figured I was the new guy, and just kept myself to myself and patched up the grout joints.
I was the last to leave site yesterday so I phoned the director and said I was done and what had happened, and would work my invoice accordingly.

Reply to Working on site :( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen