Search the forum,

Discuss wood and tiled floor combination in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cowgomoo

Hello, so after I have ripped out my shower and all, and doing the wifes bathroom my mind now turns to the hallway. I am loving timeless johns floors and I fancy a bit of that, but is it fraught with difficulty to have the tiled floor running down the middle of my question mark shaped hallway with a new laid wooden floor 'framing ' it and spilling into the rooms that lead off it. Would you put a metal trim edge where the two meet and how substantial would the gap for expansion need to be between the two also ??
Hope you can help,

David.

T

Time's Ran Out

David - When can I start!:thumbsup:

It sounds great.
Years ago when terracotta as at its height I used to do squares of tiles divided by hardwood inlays and they looked tremendous. You definitely get unequal movement in the two surfaces and a gap will appear which was filled either by a flexible admix into the grout (which was all that was available at that time) or a clear slicone. Although the grouts have improved since, you will still get a movement/cracking at the joint between the two materials and ongoing maintenance will be required!
However to get that 'look' I believe it will not be noticeable or detract from the final effect.
I do agree that the tile edge could be finished with a square profile trim raised no more than 1mm above the wood floorng - this will enable the wood to be cut up against a straight edge/or curved and also give protection to the tile edge. As shrinkage will no doubt take place in the wood that area will serve for expansion.

Remember that the tiles I use are from a pallet of 30+ colours and range from 100-150mm in their square format i.e. the permutations are enormous.:thumbsup:

Have fun - I love the idea.

Timeless John.

Reply to wood and tiled floor combination in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen