Search the forum,

Discuss Will it bring the earnings down? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

M D HUGHES

With the amount new tilers moving into the trade and the huge amount of workers moving into the country looking for work (predominantly the building trade) bring general earnings down.
This isn't a thread about 4day coursers n so on, but I'm a realist and its looking obviously likely eventually. Alot of my mates work abroad and have seen sinse the doors to europe opened up, work is being taken from them where it was readily available before and things are happening at a much faster pace developement wise. This must be basically because the work force is there to keep up with the developers demands, and maybe even over running the need for supply. Is this something to worry about? Have you seen the change in your area? What part of the county are you in?

C

Concept PHT

The midlands is flooded with tilers.

The NVQ thing will bump earnings up a bit, as many will not want to do it thus creating a shortage of 'skilled' workers.

The thing is these days, is go multi skill. Bolt on plumbing / plastering / electrics. The work is non stop. Especially if you can show recognised qualifications in these areas to the customer. Beleive me, they like to see these.

:)

L

Leatherface

So far have not seen any downturn in work for myself. My local tile shops are flooded with cards from new tilers. Most of these stay behind the counter and do not get handed out - sorry - "that's the way it is"
For myself, as yet have not had to advertise, all word of mouth. So If I stay in with my contacts & continue to do a good job, hopefully I will still get the work.
Again, pricing is a funny old thing. You can go in cheap to get the job, but if the customer wants to penny pinch they will always find someone cheaper.
I do not multi skill as yet - don't want to be taking work from the 5 plumbers who supply me with work.
NVQ - still not necessary for domestic work, so I will hold on - my customers have never asked me for a "certificate" to prove my qualifications. Still I feel that an NVQ may eventually become a necessary evil, but proves nothing - just another piece of paper :)

T

trevortine

Leatherface, everything you just said sounds like a clone of me, in the same boat m8!

E

epoxy pete

i think there will always be work for "professional " tradesmen who have served there time in this industry..i think that someone who has gone on a week or 2 week course then sets up as a tiler is not and cannot be "timeserved" in the traditional way...i worked with professsional tilers for 4 years as an apprentice,it taught the full aspects of the trade,working with different materials etc to setting out etc. i live in bolton there are loads of tilers suddenly appearing around the area!,mainly bathroom bashers ,domestic work,the yellow pages is stacked full of em!,there quality of work ,i comment on,but what i would say is if these guys are doing a good job then good luck to them,the bad ones usually fall by the wayside and soon get found out!,its amazing how quickly you get to here about a "bad" job....you never hear about the good ones!!!!!!:wink_smile:

L

Leatherface

I always ask my customers who have got my name from a shop if they would mind letting the shop know that they are pleased with my work.
Also, my comments were not meant in a bad way against newly trained tilers - I was one myself at the start.

M

M D HUGHES

My point isn't just about the workplace being flooded by tilers beit 4 dayers, 4weekers, or 4 yearers, good and bad, I've seen some terrible jobs done by very experienced tilers, experience is great but if your ****e your ****e, if your doing a good job, your earning your place out there, end of. People will only gain experience from working and getting stuck in. If they are no good I'm sure they won't last 5 secs, purely because of the amount of good tilers around.
I think I was just scoping out what different parts of the country were like, are people packing in because of the competition? are foreign workforces making a big impact or not?

L

Leatherface

have heard that Leeds & Bradford are getting quite flooded with foreign tilers - especially Polish - by all accounts these guys are cheaper - but also do a damn good job.

E

epoxy pete

have heard that Leeds & Bradford are getting quite flooded with foreign tilers - especially Polish - by all accounts these guys are cheaper - but also do a damn good job.

bradfords flooded with foreigners.....never mind tilers!!!!!!!!:wink_smile:

E

epoxy pete

i think the currency up there is rupees!!!!!...the going rate is 100 rupees a sq mtr !!

M

M D HUGHES

Well thats my point, is it not a bit worrying that we allowed 500% more into the country than we predicted and allowed for. What a politicaly embarrasing country I live in. :-(

L

Leatherface

Now now - you don't want anyone declaring holy war on this forum do you ????
Anyways, thought you had the same problem in your neck of the woods ? Or is that Blackburn ?

Reply to Will it bring the earnings down? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen