Search the forum,

Discuss Why have grout lines in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnryan

i did this floor for my sister 2 years ago, and it's still in great shape. this was all laid on sand and cement, in her conservatory.
sheilas floor 16.jpg

however, i was taking a bit of a chance with it as i wasn't sure about working with butt joints here. she said go ahead anyway, so i put it down like this. it's cheap vietnamese marble they sell at tile giant, but it still seems to be fine now, with no problems so far.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
i learnt to tile in israel, and never saw a spacer till i came home. even ceramics are butt joint there. 80% of the work is cement work though, even the vertical work, and i think that plus no real change of temp through the year makes it ok. can't imagine there'd be any expansion/contraction due to hot cold temps. though jerusalem gets freezing in the winter, so maybe it's more to do with fixing the tiles with cement and sand.

edit; their marble, terrazzo and stone is mostly 20mm thick too.
i spent 4 months in israel in 1986 working on various moshavs, just thought id share this with you ,

J

johnryan

If you ever had a problem then you would'nt have a leg to stand on.
that's why i tried it at my sisters house. i explained to her about the potential pitfalls, but she said try it anyway, as i can always put a new floor down for her. she just wanted a floor with no grout joints in it, that was nice and shiny. it's been down over 2 years now, and it's still all good, with no problems so far. i'd never do it for a regular client though, for the reasons mentioned in this thread.
and nybor, which moshav were you in? when i first got there, i went to one in the south called pharan. i was picking peppers for 4 shekels an hour. stayed there for 8 months, and had a great time. moved up to the back packers hostels in tel aviv after, and started to get building work, and that's when i first started tiling. got taught by a turkish guy called jamal. one of the best tilers i've ever seen, he was.

Reply to Why have grout lines in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen