Search the forum,

Discuss Who Is Right in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

IanA2

I've taken a few pics which, to some extent show the problem. His latest reasoning is:
"I laid the floor to what I had and this is what any competent tiler would do. The floor is even it is just not 100% flat due to the dip." and: "...the only problem you have is with regarding the floor, which unfortunately is something that happens." I should add that the pics without skirting (that's another story) are of the dais which he built. Dip? He's having a laugh!
IMG_0580.jpg
IMG_0581.jpg
IMG_0582.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

I don't think the pics show the real issue!
A plumber doing the tiling is going to raise concern but there are some good all round bathroom fitters who take their time and make a great job.
In the pictures you have provided I assume the gap to the skirting is your worry however a silicone joint to seal the joint to the wood panelling would suffice. Other views may show other concerns.
Preparation is paramount and it should be as flat as possible prior to tiling.

I

IanA2

I don't think the pics show the real issue!
A plumber doing the tiling is going to raise concern but there are some good all round bathroom fitters who take their time and make a great job.
In the pictures you have provided I assume the gap to the skirting is your worry however a silicone joint to seal the joint to the wood panelling would suffice. Other views may show other concerns.
Preparation is paramount and it should be as flat as possible prior to tiling.

This guy thinks that he is a good all round bathroom/kitchen fitter. He does the electrics (satisfactory) and the plumbing (satisfactory).

The gap is a concern, as it is unsightly and very noticeable (directly opposite the loo!), I showed it to illustrate the general unevenness of his tiling which is apparent across the whole floor.

His main problem is his attitude, he thinks he's brilliant at everything. By the way he wants to charge £30 M2 for laying these tiles. His "day rate" is allegedly £250 which he claims is justifiable because he can do everything!!

H

hmtiling

The meterage rate,imo, isn't expensive and the plumbers I work with have similar day rates. The problem lies with him not being ' brilliant'.
He should have checked the floor prior to tiling and offered you the choice of going with it or latexing to get it level. This may have resulted in a height discrepancy at the doorway but, again, that's your choice to make.
As abovea bead of mastic, neatly applied, would greatly improve appearance.

I

IanA2

The meterage rate,imo, isn't expensive and the plumbers I work with have similar day rates. The problem lies with him not being ' brilliant'.
He should have checked the floor prior to tiling and offered you the choice of going with it or latexing to get it level. This may have resulted in a height discrepancy at the doorway but, again, that's your choice to make.
As abovea bead of mastic, neatly applied, would greatly improve appearance.
I'll check tomorrow, but I think silicone has been applied. to be honest, I don't think the floor has anything to do with it, it was level enough, I think he just didn't adjust the adhesive to get the levels right. The unevenness extends to the dais and he built that.

H

hmtiling

I wouldn't be adjusting or packing up adhesive on a timber floor. You want a solid bed of adhesive and this is much more easily achieved by prepping the floor correctly.
Out of interest you said he plyed the floor. Any idea what thickness?

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

a bit confused here i can see lippy tiles but the skirting jumps at the top but not the bottom ?one pic with skirting one without .so the skirting was added after the floor was tiled ? who fitted and painted the skirting

I

IanA2

No, he didn't skirt the dais (he should have done!), but yes, the skirting and T&G was done after the floor was laid. He did the lot.

Reply to Who Is Right in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen