Search the forum,

Discuss White Deposit in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sally Burgin

I have used Starwax products on my terracotta tiles floor and in parts of the room it has now developed (over a couple of days) a whits deposit. This can be scraped off with my finger nail but this would take me days. Advice needed please on how to get rid of it.

W

White Room

Not a product I've heard of so done a search, which particular product did you use.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Do you have a picture Sally we can look at
Whitening generally produced with moisture related, either salts or whitening seal or wax.
Did you wash/ strip the floor before application and how long after the clean did you apply the products?

S

Sally Burgin

Not a product I've heard of so done a search, which particular product did you use.
I used Renovator Brillant. I have used it before with no problems. We live in France and it is a very popular product as an alternative to linseed/beeswax option.

S

Sally Burgin

Do you have a picture Sally we can look at
Whitening generally produced with moisture related, either salts or whitening seal or wax.
Did you wash/ strip the floor before application and how long after the clean did you apply the products?
I haven't a photo at the moment but am going sometime today so will take one. After reading your comments I think the problem might be that the floor was still slightly damp. It was left overnight to dry, but it was a cold damp night and day. Yesterday I decapped it, using Starwax Decapant (we are in France and this is a product used a lot over here) and gave it a good wash with a wax/detergent (ie not ammonia Flash type). I am hopiung that it can dry out now and then I can finish it off.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have tried to look up up the products best I can , appears a wax emulsion. The wax may have not fully cured due to under lying moisture, this can leave a white cloudy effect , i call this dead seal , this may not simply dry away. If it hardens we may need to cut/ strip back and then re apply. If a salt residue , we can possibly clean this back.
I leave my clean backs 3-4 days minimum and full strip back 12- 14 days drying before top ups or re seals. Just for ref;
Would still like to see the picture if possible, to move you on.

S

Sally Burgin

I have tried to look up up the products best I can , appears a wax emulsion. The wax may have not fully cured due to under lying moisture, this can leave a white cloudy effect , i call this dead seal , this may not simply dry away. If it hardens we may need to cut/ strip back and then re apply. If a salt residue , we can possibly clean this back.
I leave my clean backs 3-4 days minimum and full strip back 12- 14 days drying before top ups or re seals. Just for ref;
Would still like to see the picture if possible, to move you on.
Thanks for the advice. I am now leaving it for a couple of weeks before doing anything else to it. I will also put a heater in the room.

Reply to White Deposit in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen