Search the forum,

Discuss Which adhesive for plasterboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Duchard

Can anyone tell me which adhesive is best to use when applying straight to new plasterboards?

My tiles are ceramic 30x20. I will be tiling a bathroom and wetroom area.
From what I can understand applying PVA to the boards is a big no no as the PVA may become loose if water gets in.
Im looking at BAL ready mixed products here but not sure which one exactly. Does it matter as long its waterproof?

I will be boarding the wetroom with aqua panels and tanking the area up to about 2m to ensure no leakage.

Any advice greatly appreciated before I charge on.

D

DHTiling

Hi..

Personally i think you are better using a bagged adhesive rather than a tubbed dispersion one..

For me it would be mapei P9 for those tiles..:thumbsup:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
if your tanking definately use a bagged cement based adhesive,another tip if your using white grout on your walls buy a white adhesive:thumbsup:

D

Duchard

Thanks Dave

I have only used tubby stuff before when tiling. Can I mix like plasterboard adhesive and just add water until its a decent consistency?

Is it generally cheaper this way also?

Also do I not need to prime using this stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

It is a cement based tile adhesive and is cheaper and easier to use the tubbed gear.. just mix to a none slump consistency and tile as normal.. slow setting is better for not so quick tiling..:thumbsup:

D

Duchard

Kitty, Whats the advantage of using a cememt base adhesive in a wetroom? Is it stronger? Do I need to still prime beforehand or does the tanking take care of this?

Thanks

A

aph257

Defo use a single part cement based addy, my pref would be Biscem Xtra. i like it and have a good local supplier and also cheaper than i can get the Mapei for. each to their own and all that. Defo DO NOT use PVA. but good decision to tank the aquapanel as well.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hello duchard,kilty shall suffice my good friend :oops::lol:,cement based addhesive will hold a larger tile and is also stronger than your tubbed stuff and its properties are far superior so for a wetroom yes use it:thumbsup: using white will help you when you come to grout as well if your choosing a light grout that is,as for the tanking if your going to use a roll on/paint on kit then the mapei one comes with a bottle of primer g,aplly this to your boards then tank:thumbsup: you can of course use a membrane say for example the homelux kit,you apply it with adhesive and float it onto the wall and you can tile straight away saving you time:thumbsup:

D

Duchard

:oops:Apologies there Kilty.

So cement based would seem to be the preferance. Still not sure if I need to prime my boards which are not in the wetroom?

Reply to Which adhesive for plasterboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen