Search the forum,

Discuss Whats everyone using to stick down Ditra or durabase onto Ply subtrate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jeff the tiler

Just wanted to see what you guys are using to fix Durabase or Ditra to a ply subtrate. Interesting for me as I have switched across to using a vinyl acrylic adhesive as it is a more economical option. It seems I am always late to the party!

C

cliff jones

Re: Whats everyone using to stick down Ditra or durabase onto Ply subt

Ive been using the same, the mapei ultrabond stuff works well and does quite a large area for the size of the tubs!

M

Mr T

a flexible tile addy mate?

D

DHTiling

Flexi adhesive for me , not tried the acrylic dispersion type yet..

J

Jeff the tiler

I have to admit only heard about it recently and checked with Schluter, it much less expensive just a vinyl acrylic floor adhesive, if you compare with Flexi addy cost.

D

DHTiling

How much is a tub..?

J

Jeff the tiler

There are different makes. Schluter seem to recommend Ardex or F.Ball F44 which for 5 litres is around £20 but you will get circa 15 to 20 mtrs out of a 5 litre tub with a 3 to 4 mm trowel. I have just seen on ebay 15 litre tubs of amtico's equivalent for £40 so if you are getting let's say 55 to 60 mtrs, comparing flexi addy @ an average say £12 a bag getting 6/7 sq mtr coverage would cost you circa £100/120.
The above are only a indication, and no I am not trying to flog the stuff, but it seem to financially a better bet where applicable.

D

DHTiling

Cheers Jeff , what is the setting time like on these adhesives..?

J

Jeff the tiler

Basically as it is such a thin layer of glue [but please check reference wet rooms] you can pretty much work on it an hour later after fitting the decoupling membrane.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Basically as it is such a thin layer of glue [but please check reference wet rooms] you can pretty much work on it an hour later after fitting the decoupling membrane.

I have used the F.Ball F44 to fix Polyfloor. Although you can walk on it after an hour or so, but don't forget you generally have to leave it at least an hour as well before you lay the Ditra on top. The glue has to almost go off similar to a contact adhesive before fixing.

W

White Room

I was up at Schluters a few years ago and I'm sure they stated then that vinyl addy could be used.

Reply to Whats everyone using to stick down Ditra or durabase onto Ply subtrate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen