Search the forum,

Discuss Whats everyone using to stick down Ditra or durabase onto Ply subtrate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jeff the tiler

Re: Whats everyone using to stick down Ditra or durabase onto Ply subt

There are different makes. Schluter seem to recommend Ardex or F.Ball F44 which for 5 litres is around £20 but you will get circa 15 to 20 mtrs out of a 5 litre tub with a 3 to 4 mm trowel. I have just seen on ebay 15 litre tubs of amtico's equivalent for £40 so if you are getting let's say 55 to 60 mtrs, comparing flexi addy @ an average say £12 a bag getting 6/7 sq mtr coverage would cost you circa £100/120.
The above are only a indication, and no I am not trying to flog the stuff, but it seem to financially a better bet where applicable.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds

Basically as it is such a thin layer of glue [but please check reference wet rooms] you can pretty much work on it an hour later after fitting the decoupling membrane.

I have used the F.Ball F44 to fix Polyfloor. Although you can walk on it after an hour or so, but don't forget you generally have to leave it at least an hour as well before you lay the Ditra on top. The glue has to almost go off similar to a contact adhesive before fixing.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire

There are different makes. Schluter seem to recommend Ardex or F.Ball F44 which for 5 litres is around £20 but you will get circa 15 to 20 mtrs out of a 5 litre tub with a 3 to 4 mm trowel. I have just seen on ebay 15 litre tubs of amtico's equivalent for £40 so if you are getting let's say 55 to 60 mtrs, comparing flexi addy @ an average say £12 a bag getting 6/7 sq mtr coverage would cost you circa £100/120.
The above are only a indication, and no I am not trying to flog the stuff, but it seem to financially a better bet where applicable.

The only way you get that sort of coverage is by using a v notched floor laying trowel, a 3 or 4 mm tiling trowel is unsuitable for this adhesive. I used F44 on the last couple of ply floors I did as I've always got a tub knocking around. If you haven't used it before it will seem strange how little you have to use but basically just spread the whole are you are fitting, leave for 20 mins or until it goes really tacky then fit. This adhesive will grab instantly and you won't get the membrane back up again so be careful. If you can lift it back up then you're trying to fit too early. You can walk on it as soon as you put it down and i'd recommend rolling it afterwards, I use one of these-
$(KGrHqMOKm4E2d0,8BesBNp(6zGbJw~~_35.JPG

The only way you get that sort of coverage is by using a v notched floor laying trowel, a 3 or 4 mm tiling trowel is unsuitable for this adhesive. I used F44 on the last couple of ply floors I did as I've always got a tub knocking around. If you haven't used it before it will seem strange how little you have to use but basically just spread the whole are you are fitting, leave for 20 mins or until it goes really tacky then fit. This adhesive will grab instantly and you won't get the membrane back up again so be careful. If you can lift it back up then you're trying to fit too early. You can walk on it as soon as you put it down and i'd recommend rolling it afterwards, I use one of these-
$(KGrHqMOKm4E2d0,8BesBNp(6zGbJw~~_35.JPG

I have one of those rollers Pete it's the best thing I have bought, takes all the hard work out of fixing ditra/durabase.

C

cliff jones

rapid set flexy for me.

How do you find it with fitting with flexy? ive pulled up a few floors that have been put down with this, and generally i can just rip the sheets up with my hands in most cases, not really going anywhere fast, but then some haven't taken at all, but that could have just been down to whoever laided it originally!

Reply to Whats everyone using to stick down Ditra or durabase onto Ply subtrate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement