Search the forum,

Discuss Whatever it takes for preparation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

All depends on the budget of the job really, I do more floors than anything these days. I've been to look at a wet room today which is a plumbers own house, tray fitted, painted plastered walls, 12mm ply on the floor. Felt like banging my head on the wall.

Mark Frost

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
i dont do plumbing.. but wood work and boarding prep of walls i do all myself. Im still to meet a plasterer that can board plumb and spot on as me.. (not blowing my own trumpet sorry if it come across like it) but i just dont understand how other trades cant get walls n floor level or flat. It really not that difficult

T

Time's Ran Out

Job I'am on they were going to have the walls bond coated and plastered. I advised (told them really) that tiles were too heavy for plaster and I installed Wedi stuck and mechanically fixed. Before I even got to tile the wall panels the render all fell off! Yes they fixed a finished render coat to all the walls and within 2 weeks it was all on the floor!

F

Flintstone

So, the most common problem I come up against is like today's job I've looked at, a bathroom needs tiling and it's all skimmed walls, and when i break the bad news, it all goes quiet. Most certainly they have got somebody that tells them what they want to here.

O

Old Mod

I had a fella the other day call me up and was as pleased as punch about telling me about his newly skimmed moisture resistant PB!
"Oh yes" I replied, with that unnoticeable tone of cynicism in my voice. (Who me?)
And what material would you like affixed to your newly plastered moisture resistant PB? I asked, with eyes half closed waiting for the punch line!
"Oh 15mm marble!" He said all pleased with himself at his choice of select material.
Can't remember how long the laughter lasted, but it must have felt like an eternity on the other end of the phone.
Once I was in a position to breathe again, I calmly explained the pitfalls of applying lead weights to wallpaper, and without hesitation he said "ok, I'll rip it out, what should I replace it with, Ply?"
And on it goes, the plight of a tiler.

Whilst I admit this was written with a little artistic licence for the purpose of a little levity, I can PROMISE you, the specifics are true!
So help us God!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always take it back to blockwork, stud and reboard myself. Spent 7 miserable years trying to polish turds - will never go back to working like that

Reply to Whatever it takes for preparation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen