Search the forum,

Discuss what do u use for battens in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ric

Morning all, just wondering what people use for battens, if you use them at all, and where you get them from? Have been using my spirit levels but finding i need something easier to work with. Do you recommend using something like bal grip to start with at bottom then normal stuff as you go? I have found using a couple of screws good when using large format tiles especially behind sanitary ware where there are lots of pipes etc - limited access, but when a smaller tile is used this is time consuming!!!.....anyway, any ideas appreciated ta:thumbsup:

T

tysfoot

i get my battens from b&Q 1.5 metre peices of wood for about £1.50. i then nail them on to the wall and work up from there. Other might do it differently

G

grumpygrouter

If I need to use battens and if the surface is suitable, I have 3 or 4 U shaped shelving mountings made from steel. You can get them from any DIY place and they cost a few pounds depending on the size. They are re-useable and because of their construction, straight! I screw them to the wall/floor with screws!

Make sure you clean them every time though as soon as you take them off!

Grumpy

S

sharps58

I use U shaped shelf mounts as well, available in different lengths from B&Q and all the other usual suspects.

A

abskiing

There are also adjustable stands available, with large tiles I use these with a straight edge....no screws, timber, brackets needed, the main reason i chose stands is that many walls with hard brick or rotten plaster will be awkward and time consuming to batten,

abskiing

F

frogeye

I had a full sheet of 9mm exterior ply sliced and diced at Selco on their big cutter - first 5 cuts free then 50p a cut. Full length battens at about 3 inches wide, although 2" would have been okay - but probably not as robust. Cost about £22. Split the cost with 2 blokes on course. Was going to varnish to make cleaning easy - haven't got round to it yet :whatchutalkingabout
frogeye

W

White Room

There are also adjustable stands available, with large tiles I use these with a straight edge....no screws, timber, brackets needed, the main reason i chose stands is that many walls with hard brick or rotten plaster will be awkward and time consuming to batten,

abskiing

I agree with the above, I chose stand's as well, You nail a batton on the wall two row's of tile's later and the nailed batton dislodge's with heavy tile's sliding down with the help of gravity.

D

davy_G

Im with Frogeye on this one. Cut a sheet of marine ply at the local builders yard to suit. They cut it so all straight lines.
One word of caution, i put a small nail through a pipe once. The water was off and it was noticed soon after the water went on. It did mean taking a tile off and the plumber sorting it before i could retile and regrout in my own time. Choose nail locations carefully or use stands if uncertain.

D

davy_G

tiletrader.com

[DLMURL]http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/tilie_cutter_setting_out_and_tile_marking.html[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brian c

Darren at NETT sells them but im sure Neil at BUYBRANDTOOLS.COM will be able to sort you out with a set.

when i do use battens i use 2X1 FROM b&q.

B

bearwithme

i use plasterboards. include 1 or 2 in the price and take 2/3 " strips off either side. gives me a nice straight edge.
kept having to trawl through wood at bandq to find stuff that wasnt slightly warped. u shaped brackets sounds a good idea though:thumbsup:

R

rossy

i have seen the brackets thought they might just be a gimic are they good and steady...

G

GazTech

I designed tubular square steel sectional battens various lengths which interlocked.I pre drilled them so they could be nailed...I.had an engineering mate make them for me.....very handy.....Gaz

Reply to what do u use for battens in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen