Discuss Wetroom Leaking - Please Help! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

Holly Thwaites

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
We are renovating our house and a year ago had a wet room flooring fitted to the shower area of our downstairs bathroom. It was fitted by a professional tiler and with a complete wet room kit. It was all fine until about a month ago when we noticed water creeping up through the grouting of floor next to the raised enclosure.

The tiles are travertine which we have since been advised can become porous over time. We have proved the drain and are confident it all the pipework is sound - the water is not a great deal, its just a small amount. If it was the drain/pipes, I'm sure there would be more!

We have also scraped out the sealant and re-sealed, this didn't work. So we removed all the grout and re-grouted with flexible grout and allowed sufficient time for it to dry. This didn't work so we brought a spray which claimed to put a waterproof layer over the surface of the tiles to prevent water ingress but tried to use the shower this morning and its still leaking.

I'm at the end of my patience and we are verging on having to take the flooring up to refit but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions of what the issue might be? I've attached some photo's of the various stages and again, it has been in for a year with no issues until now?

Many thanks,

Holly

Bathroom 22.jpg Bathroom 29.jpg Bathroom 50.jpg Bathroom 54.jpg

I

Ian

Hello Holly, do you have a picture of the shower area after it was tanked? What was used to fill the gap on the right hand side of the shower tray?

H

Holly Thwaites

Hi, I don't have a photo unfortuantely but we did see it tanked before it was tiled and all appeared to be ok. The right hand side was filled using marine ply, then tanked, then tiled.

Thanks,

H

hmtiling

Is there any sign of movement in the tray/former? I've seen that system fail through inadequate support underneath.

H

Holly Thwaites

No, nothing appears to have dropped or moved other than a hairline crack in the grout around the drain but it's been regrouted since & leak continues!

O

One Day

Could be so many things. Likely causes are poorly supported tray causing excessive movement and allowing water through. Possibly excessive movement around the waste, can cause leaks there. Photos of where the water is seeping up would be useful. Out of interest-do you know what brand the tray is and the 'wetroom kit'?

H

Holly Thwaites

Hi, We can't remember exactly which kit we brought but its very similar to the attached screenshot if that helps. I've also attached some photos of the water. It definately doesn't come over the lip of the door whilst you're in the shower, and just to be on the safe side we fitted a strip of rubber seal to make sure that doesn't happen. We have watched it seep up through the grout on both the left and right of the door and along the bit between the floor and wall tiles along the right side - even as far up as the furthest radiator bit on the floor if you're in the shower too long!
20151212_110915.jpg
20151212_110923.jpg
20151212_110915.jpg
20151212_110923.jpg
20151212_110942.jpg
20151212_110952.jpg
Screenshot_2015-12-12-09-00-32.png
20151212_110934.jpg

H

Holly Thwaites

Hi, yes there is silicone all the way around the edge of the cubicle and up each of the corners - this has been scraped out and redone as well.

O

One Day

If water escaping from the surface can be ruled out then it's got to be either getting away under the tiles and out of the shower area, or the drain is leaking. I'd start by looking under the tray first.... how about carefully removing a section at the upstand?

H

Holly Thwaites

We did think about that but unfortunately the mosaic tiles are against one of the wooden batons of the frame so we still wouldn't be able to see behind it. I think we may just have to bite the bullet and take the floor up.

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
How about taking a tile off the front, drill a hole through the batton and use an inspection camera to have a nose around? If you don't know anyone with one you can get them pretty cheap from aldi now and again - might be a cheaper option to start with than a complete rip out.

S

SJPurdy

When I have fitted similar "insulation board" type shower tray formers the instructions stressed how important it is to make sure all the perimeter of the tray is supported by timber noggins and that the area around the waste outlet should also be supported by, at least, timber noggins. Maybe your board is a stronger type that doesn't need them or they were put in after the first picture. However if this was the problem then I think that you would have a reservoir of water trapped under the tray continually leaking rather than a leak that only occurs when using the shower.

When in use water can get into the shower door end channels/supports. For this reason it is often specified that the base of the shower door assembly is sealed on the outside but not on the inside; so that any water that gets into the door assembly can escape inwards towards the shower. If this area is the problem then it should b easier to check - with everything starting dry; use the shower with water splashing on to the door - an observer outside will be able to see water leaking through the door assembly.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That looks like a wedi shower tray. They really need to be supported well and the interface from the shower tray to the wall need extra attention to ensure it remains water tight. The littlest bit of movement over time can lead to issues.

Reply to Wetroom Leaking - Please Help! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks