Search the forum,

Discuss Weekend Tiling Course (East Midlands) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ibs

Hello All,

I work full time in an IT job but I really want to do some part time tiling in my free time, preferably the weekend. To be honest money will just be a bonus but I really do enjoy tiling in general. I re-grouted my kitchen the other week as well. However because I don't have time on my hands and I have no professional experience I am looking for part time intensive weekend tiling course so I can at least learn the basics so I can tile my own house.

I have done my research and have found multiple companies who do this such as Coventry Building Workshop and so on.. but I would like to hear your option on companies out there who do weekend tiling courses. I will appreciate all responses and and feedback!

Thanks

T

Time's Ran Out

Funny enough that's how I started 42 years ago!
I was working in International Banking ( I tell no lie) and my brothers Father in Law was looking for an apprentice! I used to get the train down from London to the New Forest each weekend to grout for them. 10 weeks later I started on site work and 6 months later fixed my first tile .
Never looked back - to think I could be retired now with a pension and house in Suburbia instead of living in a tent in Northumberland .
As for courses I haven't a clue! No doubt it's the same as IT - you just do a course for a couple of days and your on your own!
All I can say is it's the best job in the world!

C

charlie1

Hi ibs, I came from very same background as SQL programmer about 7-8 yr ago. I trained at NETT and found Darren a great teacher, gave me the best chance at starting my new career. Give him a call

I

Ibs

Funny enough that's how I started 42 years ago!
I was working in International Banking ( I tell no lie) and my brothers Father in Law was looking for an apprentice! I used to get the train down from London to the New Forest each weekend to grout for them. 10 weeks later I started on site work and 6 months later fixed my first tile .
Never looked back - to think I could be retired now with a pension and house in Suburbia instead of living in a tent in Northumberland .
As for courses I haven't a clue! No doubt it's the same as IT - you just do a course for a couple of days and your on your own!
All I can say is it's the best job in the world!

It was really interesting reading your post because you come from the same field. To be honest I am not complaining about my job but I want to do something that I do enjoy. I don't know why but I have always felt tiling seems interesting and fun, and I will surely take an intensive tiling course within the next few weeks!

I

Ibs

Hi ibs, I came from very same background as SQL programmer about 7-8 yr ago. I trained at NETT and found Darren a great teacher, gave me the best chance at starting my new career. Give him a call

Hello Charlie,

Thanks for your response as well! Can I ask who Darren is and where about's he is located?

Cheers

W

White Room

I think with all training courses the basics will be taught, then experience needs to be gained and that can't be taught it has to be acquired over many years.

I

Ibs

Is it good practice for new people coming into the business to offer lower cheaper quotes? My aim is to do the course get some basic advise and then advertise myself via cards, local paper and so on.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is it good practice for new people coming into the business to offer lower cheaper quotes? My aim is to do the course get some basic advise and then advertise myself via cards, local paper and so on.

Really. .....im counting to 10 now !!

What are you going to advertise yourself as ??
A tiler....after a short course..
Did you learn your current job in IT after a 5 day course ?

S

Stef

IMHO that is why a lot of very good Tilers were sat at home while someone with little or no experience offering the cheaper jobs & doing substandard work were busy.

T

Time's Ran Out

IMHO that is why a lot of very good Tilers were sat at home while someone with little or no experience offering the cheaper jobs & doing substandard work were busy.

Not sure if that was the case!
There is different levels of competition in all walks of life and it's how you react to it that defines if your going to sit at home or do a Norman Tebbit - get on your bike and look for work!
Everyone should be able to follow their dreams and the thought of making thousands each week make tiling an attractive proposition!
At the end of the day it's up to the customer to do their own homework before spending their hard earned cash!

S

Stef

Not sure if that was the case!
There is different levels of competition in all walks of life and it's how you react to it that defines if your going to sit at home or do a Norman Tebbit - get on your bike and look for work!
Everyone should be able to follow their dreams and the thought of making thousands each week make tiling an attractive proposition!
At the end of the day it's up to the customer to do their own homework before spending their hard earned cash!

I should have specified a bit better & said at the end of it that the client will go out & spend hundreds, sometimes thousands on their tiles then they will go with the cheapest quote without doing their homework.

Reply to Weekend Tiling Course (East Midlands) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen