Discuss wall hung toilet - disaster!!!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stanman

Hi all,

All going well on the tiling front until I do a test fit of the wall hung toilet. I sit down on it with my not inconsiderable 90kg frame.... a little bit of flex and bang!!!

IMG_2248.jpg

2 tiles cracked and a panel of marmox removed - I discover the culprit.....

IMG_2252.jpg IMG_2253.jpg

Our joiner has left around 9mm gap between the grohe frame and surrounding timber frame - the grohe frame is rock solid, the bolts rock a bit where the loo mounts - i guess that can't be helped.

So the plan is to rebuild this area and make it more rigid. Hopefully others out there won't make the same basic error...

Are any of you folks able to offer advice or have had similar experiences?

S

Stanman

it's a v&b supra fix system subway 2.0 . The bolts won't fit into the mount with the cardboard shroud on.

The mounting bolts waggle in the frame itself

L

lizzardtong

As far as i know that type of frame should be double borded. An you can use special seal that goes between pan and tiles.

So what i would do is. Overboard frame with 9mm matmox or even plasterboard then missing piece glued on top and screwed. You can put pb screws into that metal frame. Then tile then that seal on tiles then pan. Cut off whats stoks out. And your good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stanman

Many thanks lizard tongue. Didn't realise I could tap into the frame. Thing is , the Marmox literature advises against its use in load bearing areas- they advise it is replace with ply.

I've grabbed a sheet of 9mm ply and a 6mm sheet of floor aqua panel. Reckon that'll do it. Or shall I overspec and go for marine ply?

F

Fliselege

I glue 3cm wedi or litex to my frames, wedi and litex make a special glue for this, but I use a product called superfix. Look at my facebook link below, look for an album called Konnows Gt and another album called Stormyveien to see how I do it. No screws, just the glue.

S

Stanman

I glue 3cm wedi or litex to my frames, wedi and litex make a special glue for this, but I use a product called superfix. Look at my facebook link below, look for an album called Konnows Gt and another album called Stormyveien to see how I do it. No screws, just the glue.

thanks for the tip - i dug out some 20mm wedi/marmox from storage - sadly it's a little too thick and will end up making the tile stand proud of the rest

F

Fliselege

Don't know what to say mate. To be fair if it was my job, it would be me telling the plumber where to fix the frame to suit. So if it was me telling the plumber the wrong position, humble pie time. Can you not ask the plumber to re position the frame?

S

Stanman

Don't know what to say mate. To be fair if it was my job, it would be me telling the plumber where to fix the frame to suit. So if it was me telling the plumber the wrong position, humble pie time. Can you not ask the plumber to re position the frame?

Sadly the frame is bolted in place and tiles will need to come off reposition it - given that they 900 wide - it'l mean that wall of tiling and marmot needs to come down....

My Job, my fault..... still I'm learning....

A

Aston

I have loved reading this thread, just wish the toilet could have collapsed when in actual use!! it would have rivalled del boy falling through the bar in that episode of only fools and horses :lol: ..never mind hey stanman, todays pain is tomorrows gain :thumbsup:

F

Fliselege

Sadly the frame is bolted in place and tiles will need to come off reposition it - given that they 900 wide - it'l mean that wall of tiling and marmot needs to come down....

My Job, my fault..... still I'm learning....
I've never installed one, I live in a country of protected trades. But I know how they're fixed and they can be moved. The floor fixings easily re drilled. The top back fixings bolted on threaded wings that can be adjusted. Might have to extend waste and flush pipe. Can only wish you the best of luck. Lesson learned for next time and all that patronizing nonsense. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to wall hung toilet - disaster!!!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay