Search the forum,

Discuss UFH advise for novice newbie. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ryan2036

Newbie here and excuse if I sound too dumb.

I am planning for electric UFH in my new Kitchen that is now being installed. Floor currently is laminate floor but I found that it has small square tile under the laminate floor. What is the best way of laying UFH?
Options are:
- Can I use primer on the existing tile, 6mm insulation board (to cut cost), UFH and then new tile.
- Should I remove existing tile, level the floor and then insulation?
- I need to tile around 14 Sq m with heating area of 12 sq m. What UFH system (make/brand) should I use?
- 6mm board or 10mm board?
- I have a radiator in the kitchen which I am not planning to move hence UFH wont be a primary source of heat. So what wattage should I use? 100w/150w/200w?
- Mat or cable?

Will appreciate all reply with suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks

G

Gazzer

Remove the tiles if at all possible. Use thickest insulation possible too (at least 10mm IMO ).
150w minimum again IMO and mat or cable , which ever you prefer.

B

bugs183

Remove the tiles if you can, this cuts down on the height gain, if it all comes up messy then prime and level.
Stick 10mm boards down to this, and you'll have a lovely flat floor to work on. Tape joints with tape recommended by board manufacturer.
Lay mats, and glue gun any cables that stick up, or use duct tape either way get these flat or you'll have nowt but trouble trying to level. Cable is right faff, can't recommend that unless the room has lots of corners and angles.
Level over the whole floor, Mapei renovation screed is great for this. Then fix tiles, Mapei Kerafle Maxi is a lovely adhesive to use, it's slow setting, but great to work with.

B

bugs183

I'd try taking them up as getting adhesive to stick to tiles can cost you a fair old bit.
Try chiselling a few up, an sds drill with a breaker bit on will do it.

U

Uheat - Keith

I agree with everyone above.

10mm Ekoboard onto tiles or screed, but onto screed would be better.
Elektra MD160 at 160w/m2, onto the Ekoboards, compounds, tiles.

Warm regards, Keith.

R

ryan2036

I have now taken off the laminate floor to find that kitchen area is screed sub floor but dining are is timber sub floor. Dining area is also 12mm lower than kitchen area. What is the best way to proceed? I was thinking of using 12mm marine ply to level the floor and proceed from here on. What are your suggestions? Thanks

U

Uheat - Keith

You need to get the whole area as all the same base.
6mm or 10mm Marmox boards is ideal.
You are then able to have the 160w/m2 underfloor heating mats, etc as above.

Reply to UFH advise for novice newbie. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen