Search the forum,

Discuss type of caulking for gap filling on granite worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lgmi

Hello
We had a black granite worktop put in our kitchen a couple weeks ago, unfortunately the installers left a big gap (about 10 mm at the widest) between the wall and and the worktop. They suggested we could fill it in with white caulking.

I was wondering if there's any other material (i.e. mastic?) that could be used to fill the gap that would be less noticeable since its black granite or any better suggestions?

thanks a million

D

DHTiling

Hi.. Firstly , you should have received an activation email.. click the link back to the forum and this will activate your account so you can post on the forums.

Now to your problem.. if no tiling was going on the walls then the granite templates should have been done to suit the profile of the walls, hence no gaps.. IMO call the granite peeps back.. unacceptable gap is that.

L

lgmi

Thanks, I should have put that calling them back in not an option - tried that and long story, but they won't be coming back.

I think I'm registered now and can post?

D

DHTiling

Yep, your account is active..

You can fill the gap with black silicone, then it won't stand out as much..

M

mikethetile

im with Dave

but as they wont come back you will need to resolve it, black silicone

unless your used to silicone its not the easiest material to use, check out the corner tape site as he does tapes , cleaner etc
their box is to the right

M

Mike

is the gap at the end of the worktop or the back? if it's the back then the wall must be out and possibly skim it to fill out the void. if the gap's on the end then it's the granite fitters fault, you may be able to bring the wall out to meet the worktop, 10mm of silicon is not ideal

D

DHTiling

Mapesil Ac will go to 20mm thickness..

I only suggested black as it would match the granite better than white caulk..

If you toll it carefully it is your easiest option if no call back is available to the granite firm..

Another alternative is maybe a matching granite 100mm tile upstand.

M

Mike

i wasn't saying it can't be done dave, imo silicon only looks tidy when applied in a thin bead. i advised to skim the wall if possible to fill the gap but obviously would be better with no gap at all.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi,is the gap at an end of the length of worktop or all over where the back of the tops meet the walls

if the latter then get someone to flush your walls off

Reply to type of caulking for gap filling on granite worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen