Search the forum,

Discuss Trim on doorstep in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

bigdave1903

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but I'm tiling a doorstep tomorrow using 600x600 slate effect porcelain. Its 2 steps and I was planning on using straight edge trim. My worry is what way to put the trim. If I tile the riser 1st I'm worried the when stood on the trim will bend forward. If I tile the tread 1st I'm worried that the trim will scratch. What would you do?

L

LM

I would always tile the risers first making sure they are all the same height and inline as you look up the staircase and make sure with a straight edge that they're all nice and flat right across the width of the step, then install the tread tile and trim after. Try and select a notch size that allows the solid bedded tile so sit about .5mm above the top of your trim and then the trim won't get snagged and it will allow the water to drain off your correctly sloped tread. The tile edge being just so slightly above the trim isn't an issue either if you always keep the factory edge of the tile facing outwards :)

bigdave1903

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would always tile the risers first making sure they are all the same height and inline as you look up the staircase and make sure with a straight edge that they're all nice and flat right across the width of the step, then install the tread tile and trim after. Try and select a notch size that allows the solid bedded tile so sit about .5mm above the top of your trim and then the trim won't get snagged and it will allow the water to drain off your correctly sloped tread. The tile edge being just so slightly above the trim isn't an issue either if you always keep the factory edge of the tile facing outwards :)
Nice one thanks. It's for the in-laws so definitely dont want any problems down the line.

Reply to Trim on doorstep in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen