Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine Splashback in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andrew Case

Hi Guys

Am doing a Travertine splashback tomorrow with 100x100 tumbled and unfilled travertine tiles.

I will be using white adhesive, buttering them on the back.

When it comes to sealing and grouting - customer wants the holes leaving for the rustic look. Im concerned that splashes of food etc might get in the pits.
But if thats what she wants, then ok

What do you think?

Should i seal first, then use a grouting bag?

Or should i strongly recommend filling the holes, not seal first, let the grout stick in, and then seal?

C

Concrete guy

You'll need to point them like you would brickwork. Forget any notion of grouting in the normal tiling manner with a float.

How are they going to accept areas where the adhesive oozes through the stone?

A

Andrew Case

You'll need to point them like you would brickwork. Forget any notion of grouting in the normal tiling manner with a float.

How are they going to accept areas where the adhesive oozes through the stone?

Yeah well thats a good point. From what i have seen there are only pits rather than holes all the way through, but that is something to take into account.
Personally i would grout the whole lot. Ill speak to them again and try to go that way with it.

If thats the case, is it Seal, then grout, then seal again? With an impregnator?

I

Ian

I think something to consider is, the extra time it will take to grout not filling the pits. Don't forget to adjust your price accordingly.

C

Concrete guy

I did a few of these over the years, they were all the rage 20 years ago. It was always awkward to know what grout to use.

Generally back then I used to use BAL grouts and would dry mix 50/50 Ivory wide joint and Ivory wall and you'd end up with a lovely creamy mix that filled the larger bits but didn't crack when it dried.

The range of materials back then wasn't as extensive as it is now so we often had to come up with solutions ourselves.

Reaction score
I've had this before, come to a bit of a compromise with the customer - let them know some of the holes will end up being filled but leave some unfilled for the effect.

I always fill the tiles in areas like behind the cooker etc, for future cleanliness - sure the customer will agree as well.

Bit more time-consuming as well.

Reply to Travertine Splashback in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen