Search the forum,

Discuss Tips/advice for sealing slate floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

magnum

Hi all,

Great forum you have here. Wonder if any of you can help me.

Im coming to the end of completing my new build house and have had a slate floor installed throughout the whole downstairs to make the most of the UFH.

Part of the package when buying the stone included Lithofin Power clean, Lithofin Colour Intensifier & Lithofin stain stop. As I am at the end of the build (read that as skint :lol:) I am looking to the seal the floor myself.

Plan is to mop the floor multiple times to get rid of the general dirt the use the power clean to get the slate as clean as possible. The apply the intensifier followed by the stain stop. Really looking for the best methods to do it, roller brush etc and any tips you may be able to impart.

I take it its best to have the underfloor heating switched off while applying it?

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Rod

M

magnum

Hi Alan

Absolutely nothing yet - the floor is laid and grouted........

Sounds like I should have asked advice before it was laid !

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
should have been sealed before grouting ,your tiler should have known this .lithofin stain stop or similar product. whats the finish of the slate. this could be a major problem i.e grout in the pores of the tiles woll be very hard to remove . good look any way

M

magnum

Thanks guys for the advice. Tiler worked very neatly when grouting and from looking at the areas I have cleaned so far I cant see grout in the pores - but will wait until I clean it all!

Old school tiler im afraid in a small village..........

Any tips on the best way of applying the intensifier and stain stop? Roller (what size/type), Sponge, brush or a combination of all 3?

All tips greatly appreciated - guess what I am doing this weekend:yikes:

Cheers

T

Time's Ran Out

I always use a nice thick pile roller head - but not as a roller!
Pour your liquid into the roller tray, dip the roller head in and drag along the tile surface - don't roll as this causes bubbles in the liquid.
Pull the head one way and when its dry go across at 90degees.
Good Job.

M

magnum

Its a large format brazilian slate - ever so slightly riven but not as bumpy as some I have seen.

Cheers

Rod

D

doug boardley

I normally use a 4" brush to apply it and follow on with a lint free cloth to wipe off the surplus after its dwelled for 10 mins or so.

Reply to Tips/advice for sealing slate floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen