Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Wooden Internal Stairs in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody has done this or if they have any advice about doing so?

I'm not even sure that it's a good idea or not.

But, presumably if plenty of screws were put in and there was little movement then it should be achievable.

B

Bill

I did a staircase years ago but that was using the original bal flex - this adhesive was like rubber and was a right pain to use. Haven't seen it for ages though so it may not be available any more.

Not sure if that is still the only product I would use as I wouldn't trust what is on the market now.

O

One Day

tmp_22410-2016-02-22 18.44.17257086486.jpg

H

hmtiling

I did a stair case in plank tiles. Nmp, tiled with SPF and siliconed the grout joints and perimeters. Didn't cut the nosings off the stairs as they wanted big aluminium treads on them as it is a holiday home rental. Looked fecking awful but been back 12 months down the line to do a wet room and no signs of wear our failure

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

There looking at a tile with a proper step edge so the external joint is not a concern.

I reckon, after reading the above comments NMP, silicone the internal joints and its gotta be an S2 adhesive.

This is assuming the stairs arnt rickety haunted house style ones:fearscream:

J

Just Rizzle

I personally wouldn't do it could be a death trap in the making if you don't use the appropriate tiles with the right nosing's.
my stairs at home is done in karndeen wood plank with 3 inch rubber nosing's .

O

One Day

Those in the photo were outdoor slip rated porcelain - very heavily textured.
Customer insisted on no nosings but had to stick some on for building inspector.
Once signed off, they were removed.
And yes, I have a written and signed copy of their instructions and risk acceptance.

Reaction score
I saw the stairs today and there certainly very solid. The tiles they want to use are very anti slip and quite safe to use. But personally, Id carpet it of just polish/varnish up the wood thats already there. Each to their own mind,and there doing this property up to live in, not sell on.:neutral:

Reply to Tiling Wooden Internal Stairs in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks