Discuss Tiling over ply ?? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Teddy1

TF
Reaction score
Morning guys. I’ve got my second job to start on Tuesday. It’s to tile a bathroom. Walls and floor. The walls are plastered but the joiner who has been working on the renovation has laid ply wood on the bathroom floor. He told the customer this will be fine to tile onto.

I’m not so sure. I’ve suggested cement/backer boards but the customer just wants me to tile on the ply. Could anyone give me any advice as to what I should do.

This is only my second job and I want it to be perfect. Without any comebacks !!

Thanks in advance. Mike.

W

WetSaw

Show the client the section in British Standards where it states that ply is not a suitable substrate for tiling.
Search on here and you'll find it.

D

Dumbo

Tell her you are doing it on cement boards or you are not doing it . Also has the chippy supported all the joints in the ply because even with cement board that can still cause a crack .

S

Spare Tool

Joiner should stick to joinery, ply has been used for tiling on for years but todays ply is not what it used to be....overboard with hardi or similar, you'll need to check the thickness of the ply so screws go right through and into original floor, but be certain not to go right through that..

D

Dumbo

Just on a side note regarding your last comment, only ever tile to spec that you are happy with , and by that just because a manufacturer says it's ok be it adhesive, backer boards or screed supplier don't just accept what they say , do your research and this is one of the best data bases out there . Because the buck will stop with you.
Good luck in your future business

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Classic example of other trade's sticking there noses in where they haven't got a clue..

Just like Plasterers, thinking there's nothing wrong with tiling onto bonding..
And builders and chippys seem to have a love affair with ply, left to them the whole house would be built with it..!

Overboard with 6mm hardi or insulation boards......in a bathroom it wouldn't cost much extra.

Teddy1

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. This is a great forum to have access to. I’ve made up my mind and won’t be tiling onto the plywood.I will use Backer board or something similar.

I’ve told the customer and they are ok with it. Once they realised the price of them isn’t too steep !

Thanks again everyone. You’ve certainly backed up the initial concerns I had

Teddy1

TF
Reaction score
Classic example of other trade's sticking there noses in where they haven't got a clue..

And builders and chippys seem to have a love affair with ply, left to them the whole house would be built with it..!

Overboard with 6mm hardi or insulation boards......in a bathroom it wouldn't cost much extra.

hi Andy. Just to be certain. Do I overboard the ply that has been put down ? It is 8mm. Thanks mate.

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I always overboard ply and if the customers don’t want it overboarded then I won’t tile it I turned up to a job a couple weeks ago for a builder 66sqm of wall tiling all on ply he wouldn’t overboard it so I walked off the job

Reply to Tiling over ply ?? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks