Search the forum,

Discuss tiling over mdf with a pva primer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nlp67

Hi guys new to the forum, my question is my shower has been backed with mdf, l only know this because two bottom rows of three have blown and when l took them off l can see the mdf.Now to keep the costs down and a short term solution can l put neat pva on the mdf let it dry and then retile, need to do as cheap as poss as l'm renting it out short term and cant afford to completely refit.desperate for advice!!!! Thanks GUYS

D

doug boardley

PVA and MDF:yikes::yikes::yikes: both serious no no's in tiling installations:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
no deffo not mdf is no good to tile no matter what you treat it with , it needs to be removed, and why mdf is in a shower area is beyond me , crazy who ever installed it there

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
oh and pva as no place with in the tiling industry, and i dont think it would be nice to bodge it just so you can rent it out , just creating a massive problem which will cost loads in the long term

T

Tenchman

Same as NYBOR totally agree MDF is rubbish and is not suitable to tile on no matter what it is primed with, you need tile backer board or very good marine ply. otherwise the tiles will just blow again.
:prrr:

D

diamondtiling

Hi guys new to the forum, my question is my shower has been backed with mdf, l only know this because two bottom rows of three have blown and when l took them off l can see the mdf.Now to keep the costs down and a short term solution can l put neat pva on the mdf let it dry and then retile, need to do as cheap as poss as l'm renting it out short term and cant afford to completely refit.desperate for advice!!!! Thanks GUYS

I take it you took the usual landlords route.......the cheapest option.

:presents1:

Reply to tiling over mdf with a pva primer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen