Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Onto Uneven Concrete/bitumen Floor in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Markhi43

Problem:
  • Tiling a kitchen floor.
  • Half is covered in bitumen (from parquet floor). Half is a new concrete slab.
  • There is a 35mm level difference across the floor and is fairly lumpy.
Possible solution No.1?:
  • Use latex self-levelling compound such as arditex na.
  • BUT: I am slightly worried the new slab may move and crack along the joint. Which will crack the slc and the tiles.
  • BUT: This solution will offer no insulation and due to the level difference will cost an arm and a leg!
Possible solution No.2?:
  • Lay chipboard tounge and groove flooring. Using an adhesive to take make it level (in a similar fashion to dot and dabbing) then tiling onto that. Maybe screwing it to floor as well
  • BUT: will this stand the test of time?
  • BUT: is there an adhesive available to do this?
Please, please help. Gone round and round in circles with this one. Thank you in advance

image.jpeg

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum Mark!
Yep problems.
Firstly I spose, who are u to this job?
You're own home?
Are u a tiler?
Builder?
Diyer?
Oh option two! Nah! Haha
This is why we ask new members to post here first, to tell us a bit about yourself so that we can help u best way we can. :)

Welcome Forum | New Members Say Hi Here

It's difficult to assertain what level of advice to give otherwise.

M

Markhi43

I own the house yea. I am a DIYer, but have a fair bit of experience now. The house has been a big refurb project. Every single room has needed replastering/rewiring/re-everything.

M

Markhi43

Thanks for your response. Hopefully I can offer some help to others once I'm through with this job

O

Old Mod

Just on the information given,
In broad terms, u could grind off high spots in the concrete, and grind off the bitumen, then use a lot less leveller and try putting a joint in the tiles directly over the join in the sub floor.
But that's broadly speaking, without knowing what levels u need to work to and so on.

O

Old Mod

Yeah it'll grind off along with your high points, and if there's any left once that's done, it can be treated with a slurry coat, then tiled or slc'd.
But to remove as much as possible first, is a better solution.
U can hire heavy duty floor grinding equipement.

M

Markhi43

Tidy! So could I just put a slurry coat on then use standard self levelling compound on top?

Q

Qwerty

Best removing as much as possible as already advised, then the SBR slurry, followed by a SLC over this.

M

Markhi43

Alright. Thank you for your advice. I'll talk it through with the other half . Her folks are insistent on the chipboard sub-floor.

I

Ian

Alright. Thank you for your advice. I'll talk it through with the other half . Her folks are insistent on the chipboard sub-floor.
Do not turn a concrete substrate into a wooden one, that is not a good piece of advice. Clean the bitumen up and level the floor. Even if you were to put chipboard down (which you shouldn't even consider), you'd still need to put a backer board over it to make it tileable, all those layers would leave you with a 40mm step into the room.

Reply to Tiling Onto Uneven Concrete/bitumen Floor in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen