Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Onto A Floating Concrete Floor in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mine123

I would like to have my kitchen and bathroom floor tiled, only thing I can't work out is if the substrate is suitable.
The floors are concrete, a layer of dpm sheeting, polystyrene sheets overlayed with chipboard which has been glued on. A section of the kitchen floor is spongy where there has been some water damage and the chipboard has degraded.

Whilst getting a quote from a plumber to have the bathroom renovated he said the tiling onto the above would be fine using Ditra matting, but another company suggested against it saying there would still be movement.

So my questions are how do I fix the damaged areas and can the floors be tiled?

Thanks,

M

mine123

I would like to have my kitchen and bathroom floor tiled, only thing I can't work out is if the substrate is suitable.
The floors are concrete, a layer of dpm sheeting, polystyrene sheets overlayed with chipboard which has been glued on. A section of the kitchen floor is spongy where there has been some water damage and the chipboard has degraded.

Whilst getting a quote from a plumber to have the bathroom renovated he said the tiling onto the above would be fine using Ditra matting, but another company suggested against it saying there would still be movement.

So my questions are how do I fix the damaged areas and can the floors be tiled?

Thanks,

Edit - Concrete floating floors.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
nope. Unsuitable in my opinion.

J

Just Rizzle

Thanks for your reply, looks like its going to be laminate in the kitchen and vinyl in the bathrooms then.
if you want tile look in your kitchen and bathroom my solution would be to lay karndean looks as good if not better than tiles also it is highly flexible well suited to a bouncy floor

M

mine123

if you want tile look in your kitchen and bathroom my solution would be to lay karndean looks as good if not better than tiles also it is highly flexible well suited to a bouncy floor
Afraid so.

What's stopping you pulling it all up and redoing it a bit more stable?

Hi, not really an option as the kitchen has fitted units. Bathrooms not much better as the sanitary ware would be in the way.

M

mine123

Thanks for the advice, I am now looking at Karndean/Amtico for the bathrooms and a uni-click laminate for the kitchen.

Reply to Tiling Onto A Floating Concrete Floor in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen