Search the forum,

Discuss tiling on top of terracotta in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ric

going to be tiling on top of terracotta floor soon, not sure if its flat or level as not seen yet. what would anyone recommend? i shall check for soundness etc just wondering if i need to put levelling compound down or is cleaning up and priming alone enough?...thanks

G

GazTech

going to be tiling on top of terracotta floor soon, not sure if its flat or level as not seen yet. what would anyone recommend? i shall check for soundness etc just wondering if i need to put levelling compound down or is cleaning up and priming alone enough?...thanks
It depends on the nature of the cotta Rik, some are very curved and you may have many ridges in between high spots.If badly uneven then use SLC,to take out the worst.....Gaz

R

Ric

It depends on the nature of the cotta Rik, some are very curved and you may have many ridges in between high spots.If badly uneven then use SLC,to take out the worst.....Gaz

Thanks Gaz, something i didn't think of....just shows always best to ask:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

You will need to remove all surface contaminants as well as old polish etc etc...along with checking for soundness etc....

G

Gazzer

I did this a few years back in a large conservatory. I had all the issues that have been raised here but i over came them by going over the surface with a large belt sander that i have and this took a layer off and any sealer/polish that was on the terracota.
I then used a primer and a SLC to finish off with. No comebacks at all.
It was a dusty job though, good job i had the dust extractor clipped onto the sander.

R

Ric

thanks guys....would you use dedicated cleaner specific to acid based tiles or will something like a degreaser do?

G

GazTech

thanks guys....would you use dedicated cleaner specific to acid based tiles or will something like a degreaser do?
Sugarsoap, or HG Extra will do nicely, cotta is very soft and a screwdriver will easily score the surface for you to attain a good key......Gaz :yes:

D

DHTiling

i would use lithofin wexa>> much better than hg extra on removing old polishes etc......

Lithofin Wexa is an alkaline combination cleaner with a very broad range of action. Through a combination of special cleaning components with solvents, most cleaning problems are solved. Lithofin Wexa dissolves old layers of wax, polishes, floor care products, sealing substances, permanent shine emulsions, oil and grease spots, soot, rubber and tar stains..:thumbsup:

Reply to tiling on top of terracotta in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen