Discuss Tiling on painted plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi. Guessing it's a common question but I'm trying to confirm whether it's possible to tile onto painted plasterboard? My kitchen walls are plasterboard with the original trade paint that was used when the house was built 4 years ago.

Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Hi. Guessing it's a common question but I'm trying to confirm whether it's possible to tile onto painted plasterboard? My kitchen walls are plasterboard with the original trade paint that was used when the house was built 4 years ago.

Thanks for any advice.
Hi,

The first thing to do is check that the paint is fully bonded to the plasterboard. Do this by applying a strip of gaffer tape overnight and then rip it off. If the paint comes off, then it means that there is weak bond between the board and paint, and the background is generally unsuitable to receive tiles. That would mean taking a chance, but lets say, that the paint is bonded well:

Weight and movement issues with tiles on paint are a big factor, so I'd personally take a chance tiling onto paint with tiles up to 200 x 200 mm, providing the walls are rigid and primed correctly.
The other thing to consider is what type of paint it is. If it's a moisture-resistant paint, then this would have to be primed using a primer that gives a key, such as Mapei EcoPrim Grip. If it's standard paint that absorbs moisture, then a normal SBR primer could be used instead.

In summary, the things to consider, are:

Is the wall stable and flat?
Is the paint bonded to the plasterboard?
Are the tiles quite small (not large format)?

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Scratch the paint up, fairly abrasive paper will do, prime with sbr, then tile, use a slowset flexible adhesive to 100%be sure and stick whatever you like to the walls, anything from a small mosaic to a small car! This job does not require any over thinking! 👍🏻

Reply to Tiling on painted plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Afternoon all, hope you are all having a good weekend. I am going to be tiling the splashback...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have some lovely Mexican terracotta tiles (glazed on one side only) which are meant...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay