Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on a painted plasterboard. HELP in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stavs tiles

Hi guys,

Hope you can help on this.

On a painted plasterboard can you tile directly on this?

I was thinking of scribingthe wall with a Stanleyknife every 2 inches so the adhesive has something to grip on, then rough sanding it and then cleaning it and using BAL Acrylic primer?

Or can I just tile over the paint providing the paint is not flaking off?

Any tips would be great. Just want a good strong bond. I will be using BAL rapid set adhesive.

Cheers
Stav

S

Stavs tiles

Hi Rich, it's white emulsion paint.

Don't really want to board it again. It's a new build flat only 3 years old, so was hoping if I primed it up with acrylic it would give the adhesive something to grip to?

Attached are some pics of bathroom, the white small Ines will be removed.

Thanks

IMG_6555.JPG IMG_6556.JPG

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Liverpool
Not been a Bal user for years so can't feel I can comment on their primer. If you do call Bal technical tomorrow I can't imagine they'd advise anything other than replace or overboard, which is realistically what a pro would/should do. As mentioned earlier, see how you get on taking the existing tiles off. Chances are they're pulling the board with them.

F

Flintstone

I tiled a kitchen splashback only a week or so ago and that had one small area of painted plasterboard, not plastered, it was well and truly on there and would not scratch off so I primed and tiled it with standard set, no problem. Might be a different story if it was a bathroom with heavy tiles tho. Emulsion normally comes off easily if you wet it. If that is the case you need to get it off.

D

Dumbo

BAL technical told me in the past to apply a piece of high quality sellotape to the wall and rub on firmly, leave it for ten minutes and then remove it, if the tape pulls the paint off then you can't tile on it, if not then it should be fine providing you don't exceed the weight limits for plasterboard.
I was told the same many moons ago on a bal course

O

One Day

I was told the same many moons ago on a bal course
For eggshell and gloss. Not emulsion. Somewhere in bs5385 i seem to remember advice being to score 2mm x 2mm lines into the paint with Stanley knife, then apply tape. If it removes most of the paint (which invariably it will) don't tile direct, mechanically remove the paint.

S

Stavs tiles

After reading all these comments which I really appreciate. I'm gona put some elbow grease into this bathroom and scrape, sand the walls down. I have a steamer and if I need to use this and spend all day removing the paint then so be it.

Firm believer of if you do things the right way it won't come back and bite you on your arse :)

What a pain in the arse tho with painted walls. Days labour will be just the removal of paint lol

Reply to Tiling on a painted plasterboard. HELP in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays