Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on a painted plasterboard. HELP in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Not been a Bal user for years so can't feel I can comment on their primer. If you do call Bal technical tomorrow I can't imagine they'd advise anything other than replace or overboard, which is realistically what a pro would/should do. As mentioned earlier, see how you get on taking the existing tiles off. Chances are they're pulling the board with them.

S

Stavs tiles

Just thinking guys and sorry to open this up. What would the scenario be with a painted wall not plasterboard.

Image getting the paint off and scraping/sanding down is just the better option with this as well....

L

LM

BAL technical told me in the past to apply a piece of high quality sellotape to the wall and rub on firmly, leave it for ten minutes and then remove it, if the tape pulls the paint off then you can't tile on it, if not then it should be fine providing you don't exceed the weight limits for plasterboard.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Didn't think the tape test applied to emulsion paint though Lee? Thought it was only to be used on gloss and the like. My understanding was that emulsion could start to break down when wetted so shouldn't really be tiled on.

L

LM

Well that's what they told me, personally I'd be over boarding or replacing the plaster board for all it would cost to do anyway.

Reaction score
If the paint is well stuck and survives the 'tape test'(decent sticky tape used) and, doesn't rub off with a wet cloth, (which being used in a bathroom it shouldn't. Prime it with mapei Eco prim grip, wait for it to dry and tile away.

O

On one

As it is a 3yr old new build the tile adhesive will probably ready mixed and will pop off easily enough.......likewise the walls will be dry lined, so I would reluctant to interfere with the integrity of the walls
It looks like you definately enough depth on the bath to overboard the walls with new PB if you didnt want to remove the PB around the bath

Reply to Tiling on a painted plasterboard. HELP in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen