Discuss Tiling novice - BAL Rapidset Flexible and painted surface in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

ecmm1973

Hi there. My name's Eric and I've decided to have a go at tiling parts of the bathroom in my new (new to me) house. I've never tiled walls before - I've tiled floors but never floors. I'm a bit of a worrier and so want to check with people who know what they're doing before I start!

I'm going to waterproof (Homelux wall matting) my shower and then tile the shower, above the bath and above the basin with 8mm ceramic tiles (500mm by 250mm).

The Homelux wall matting people have recommended I use BAL Rapidset Flexible adhesive to stick the wall matting to the shower walls and also to then fix the tiles. They've said I should use a 5 or 6mm square notched trowel.

Some of the walls have been painted with Dulux Diamond Matt paint. The area above the bath and basin have been painted. The shower itself is hardibacker board but I'm going to take the tiles about 5 to 10 cm past the hardibacker board onto painted plasterboard (so about 40 to 45 cm width of the tile will be on backer board and about 5 to 10 cm will be on painted plaster board).

I've just read a sentence on Topps Tiles web site saying that BAL Rapid Set Flexible shouldn't be used on painted surfaces. Is that right? What should I do? Do I need to remove the paint from the whole area I'm going to tile and then treat the plaster (that's under the paint) with anything? What's the best way of removing the paint so I can tile on it? What should I treat the exposed plaster with?

I think I should use either an 8mm or 10mm square notched trowel for spreading the adhesive for fitting the tiles on top of the wall matting. Is that right?

With 8mm tiles, would I be right to buy 10mm thickness metal tile trim?

Sorry for the very basic questions (and so many of them). Hoping someone can help!

Thanks,
Eric.

P

prceramics

yes mate 8mm or 10 mm will be fine if the walls are flat i would use the 8 check if the tiles are bowed 1st by putting them face to face good luck :)

yes and try to remove the paint its not good to tile onto full stop whatever the addy

E

ecmm1973

yes mate 8mm or 10 mm will be fine if the walls are flat i would use the 8 check if the tiles are bowed 1st by putting them face to face good luck :)

yes and try to remove the paint its not good to tile onto full stop whatever the addy

Thanks prceramics.
If the tiles are slightly bowed then I should use a 10mm square notched trowel?
I'll get the electric sander out to get rid of the paint. Should I then prime the plaster (what with)?

Thanks for your help.

P

prceramics

i use bal prime apd if the tiles are bowed i would stack them and not use a brick bond pattern

E

ecmm1973

i use bal prime apd if the tiles are bowed i would stack them and not use a brick bond pattern

Thanks again for your help.

The hardibacker board isn't entirely flat (as it got scored slightly when I was removing the adhesive that held up the previous tiles) so would you recommend a 10mm trowel or would you stick with the 8mm trowel size?

Am I right to think 10mm metal trim thickness (8mm tile and the depth of the adhesive would bring the tile out flush with the trim?)?

Thanks,
Eric.

P

prceramics

yeah 10mm trowel trim sounds ok but check the real size not what is written on them because some vary :)

B

bugs183

Hiya.
If this is your first job i'd be tempted to fit the Homelux wall matting in Rapid Setting Adhesive and the wall tiling in Standard (slow) setting adhesive, much easier to work with.

E

ecmm1973

Hiya.
If this is your first job i'd be tempted to fit the Homelux wall matting in Rapid Setting Adhesive and the wall tiling in Standard (slow) setting adhesive, much easier to work with.

Thanks bugs183.
Just been looking online and it seems to be called BAL Single Part Flexible.
Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Eric.

B

bugs183

Yep thats the stuff, lovely stuff to use EC.
The experienced guys use rapid set, and it is easier to get hold of, but on large jobs or one where i will be taking a few days to complete i tend to use slow setting as it will sit in the bucket without setting, so no rushing or bucket scraping.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.tilefixdirect.com/pdf/BAL_Rapidset_Flex.pdf

Not suitable for painted surfaces.

Make sure you get all that paint off. If it is actually emulsion, it'll come off if you wet it. Probably the easiest paint to get off.

Once you've done that, score it well, so you get a good key to the actual wall and not just the little bit of paint still left on.

Reply to Tiling novice - BAL Rapidset Flexible and painted surface in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22