Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling internal corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spongebob

Can anyone help please. I have just had my shower re-tiled, and there was a half inch gap at the internal corners, which the tiler had filled with grout [he said he couldn't cut the tiles that small]. The grout looked bad, so he has now fitted a chrome corner strip, top to bottom on all four internal corners of the shower.
My questions are:
Is this a "normal" thing to do? {i've never seen this before]
Is there a better option, such as a curved corner tile [if there is such a thing?]
Is the chrome edge a safety hazard?
Thanks for all your help!

C

Colour Republic

Have you paid this guy?

the internals should have been siliconed not grouted

the tiles should have been set out so to avoid any small cut, so you wouldn't have this problem in the first place if he knew what he was doing.

Chrome edge in the corners?? never heard of somebody doing this before, sounds like a quick fix bodge to me

sorry I have been so negative Spongebob but sometimes it really grates when people try to pass themselves of as professionals:incazzato:

D

diamondtiling

Tiles can be cut to any size, he is pulling a fast one with that lame excuse. Your corners should be grout free and filled with silicone instead for expansion reasons. The trim is a "get me out of jail card" get him back to fix it.

Pictures would help.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sorry spongebob, half inch cuts are not a part of good tiling. Bad setting out imo, get him back:mad2: tell him to put it right:yikes:

S

SandyFloor

Sounds like he's started tiling from the bottom of the walls using whole tiles to save cutting and then found the walls aren't plumb when he got further up...oh dear!

S

spongebob

Tiles can be cut to any size, he is pulling a fast one with that lame excuse. Your corners should be grout free and filled with silicone instead for expansion reasons. The trim is a "get me out of jail card" get him back to fix it.

Pictures would help.
He has left the chrome trim taped up to dry. He says if I am not happy he will re-do the whole shower. I feel bad about this, because he is such a nice guy, and has done other work for me with no problems. How can I tell him he should use silicone on the corners without peeing him off??

S

spongebob

Sorry spongebob, half inch cuts are not a part of good tiling. Bad setting out imo, get him back:mad2: tell him to put it right:yikes:
Should the tiles start in the middle and then work outwards, or should the centre line be in the middle [as mine are]?

S

spongebob

The tile lines are centered in the middle of the shower, not sure if this is right or not? It's a shame because he is so nice, and has done other jobs for me. He seems quite exasperated with the whole thing, but he wants me to be happy. Is there any other option [apart from starting again], such as corner tiles or something else?

H

hillhead

Tell him simply he's wrong.If he's willing to re do it let him at no extra expense to you.

C

Colour Republic

He has left the chrome trim taped up to dry. He says if I am not happy he will re-do the whole shower. I feel bad about this, because he is such a nice guy, and has done other work for me with no problems. How can I tell him he should use silicone on the corners without peeing him off??

The problem is that he may well be ok at other trades but it sounds as though he isn't very good a tiling.

The fact this is a shower is even more cause for concern because of possible failure. He may be a nice guy but if it leaks and damages other areas of the property who are you going to turn to?

There are some rules regarding setting out but can be adapted to suit the area in question

Reply to Tiling internal corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen