Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling finished, sealing shower enclosure advice? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Don

Not sure if this is the right forum but the tiling is now complete and it looks great Next up is the shower enclosure, and offset quad. What do people recommend for sealing, I guess there are three options....

1) Seal inside the enclosure – more chance of sealant going off/discolouring?

2) Seal outside the shower

3) Behind the vertical wall mounts and under the door frame on the tray, so the sealant is invisible, harder to get a perfect seal?

And lastly what is a bombproof sealant, is Tec 7 any good?

Many thanks, nearly there!

S

sstocky

IMO I would seal inside as wont you need a small bead of silicone where the shower base meets the tiles anyway?

Hopefully someone can advise to a specific silicone to use.

I have a similar setup to fit in my ensuite so will follow this one incase i am miles off track

T

TilerJames

i would take no risks and seal all you can.
I would seal the internal wall corners from ceiling to tray and where the tile meets the tray, the whole way round. also seal where the shower door meets the wall and tray. persuming you have white grout then go for white silicon. take your time doing it.

R

Rich

I would run a bead of silicone that compliments the grout colour up the inside of the shower and think about using a clear silicone to do the same on the outside or in places where you will find it hard to get a clean finish.

What grout was used? I always try to match the silicone to the grout colour, some brands do a huge range of different colours.

K

kaharrison9

Just recently sealed a cubicle and the instructions were to do the inside and outside of the vertical wall profile and the outside around the tray to the enclosure but not to seal the inside of the tray to enclosure so water can drain back into the tray.
Also silcone the screw holes and the srcew holes that contect enclosure to the wall

J

jay

most shower screens are prone to leak in the channels (framework) if you seal on inside they leak on the outside as that the only place water can go

S

sblunde

My understanding is that most shower enclosures should only be siliconed on the outside, as the metal profiles are normally designed so that any water that gets inside the metal profiles will drain into the enclosure. Most enclosures are size adjustable to take into account any irregularities in the walls and odd angles between the walls/tray. Water WILL get inside the metal profiles, so you need to think about where it will go - you don't want it building up inside the framework. Ultimately, you should follow the instructions!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dvitendi1

Save yourself some bother and get yourself a non-solvent based silicone. The reason silicone shrinks and discolours is because the majority of it is water based. Once you've got hold of a decent sealant, you'll want to tactically apply it around the shower Don't be one of these people that applies the entire tube - it just doesn't look right!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

I would go per manufacturers instructions, some say silicone outside & in, others say outside only & some say inside only.
I would stick the screen up & mark your screw holes then drill & plug. When fitting the screen i would put a bead of silicone on the back of the profile against the wall then screw tight, that way its water tight against the wall.
Always silicone internal corners, i would use a Mapei silicone, one of the best on the market, Weber are also doing a new silicone its made by Dow Corning.

Q

Qwerty

Silicone outside frame & glass with a decent sanitary silicone such as dow corning or mapei. Im a bit confused by some of the other advice given to you by others.

Reply to Tiling finished, sealing shower enclosure advice? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks