Discuss Tiling Bathroom - Going overboard? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Spare Tool

Easiest way to tell is try taking one of yesterdays fixed tiles off, if it comes off quite easily and adhesive will still scrape off its a worry at the least...

ChrisSG

TF
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think he's mixing it up in the buckets as he said about using ready mixed and there's a few tubs here! I'm kinda confused as he really doesn't seem like a 'bodger' so I'm sure he'd know what the correct procedures are :S

Appreciate the ideas and replies. I might try popping off a tile tomorrow, or see if he'll pop one off when he's back - I don't really want to **** the guy off yet!

I see, from research, the issues with ready mix are a lot to do with the way it dries; it can take quite a while? Is there also a strength/longevity issue with it as well?

Cheers, Chris

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
In that case you have more than enough reason to be concerned, data sheet says maximum size porcelain tiles are 150x150, even if they were ceramics they are double the size at .18m2 to the .09m2 they advise. You won't be wrong to query it, it will just be how you go about it that can get a stronger reaction from him

ChrisSG

TF
Reaction score
Cheers Tony C, that's exactly it. Feel like you cant argue with the facts that are right there!

You're right about the approach - should be fine on that front.

S

Spare Tool

It's a bloody shame, this thread started with you wanting to prep properly, which you did and if it is bucket addy they really will all have to come off. Be interesting to hear what he has to say on the matter and how a TTA member shows no regard for proper procedures... One saving grace is the tiles can be soaked through, adhesive scrapped off as it will just turn to mush then tiles reused.. Might be a little more difficult to get it off the plasterboard now though, longer its left harder it will be..

F

Flintstone

Sorry to read this. I would confront him head on about it. Any photos of the work ? Photos of the exposed edge of a tile so we can see his fixing methods..

ChrisSG

TF
Reaction score
OK spoke to the tiler who did take my question seriously and didn't get defensive (which was good). His reply was that he's used the adheasive a lot for a number of years and never had any issues and used it for some larger tiles than I've got here. So he seems confident and said the drying times wont be a problem due to how he puts the addy on and the current weather / house temp (house is pretty warm haha).

So I'm more confident than I was but also not completely as it's not 'by the book'.

Trying to avoid a dispute and redo because its actually quite frustrating / disheartening for the exact reason AndyTiler said. I put a lot of hard work in, week off work etc for the prep work, which the tiler did commend too.

I'm sure it's easy to think of this guy as 'terrible' but he honestly seems ok and not like hes trying to shaft me knowingly :confused2:

Thanks, Chris

Pics attached!

20190713_150941.jpg

20190713_150914.jpg

20190713_150922.jpg

20190713_114432.jpg

20190712_163555.jpg

S

Spare Tool

It's your bathroom Chris, really is up to you how you move forward with the situation, but I'll just leave this here...off the technical data spec for whitestar plus
:rolleyes:

wp_ss_20190713_0001.png

ChrisSG

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Andystiletiling. I have indeed seen the datasheet which is what kicked off my worrying! Before that I was all good!

I'm thinking of carrying on as it's nearly done, is a neat job that I'm visually happy with and, as said before, I dont feel I'm being taken for a ride. Hard to have to pay if you're not completely happy but the alternative... Probably another month or more of waiting and not being able to wash at home.

Maybe this is why it's just easier to do everything yourself after all haha.

Chris

S

Spare Tool

I agree on the face of it it looks acceptable and the agony of redoing...well, I get where your coming from. It's your choice but one last thing, the minute that's grouted its like putting the lid back on the tub, it will not dry any further and that is quite a bed depth, well over 3mm max advised, so all i can say is leave it as long as possible before grouting or it'll still not be set this time next year..

T

Time's Ran Out

600x300 = 8 times the recommended size for this adhesive and he says he’s fixed bigger with this dispersion adhesive. He needs to be removed from the TTA as he is certainly not enhancing their standards or reputation.
What this thread shows is people accept a so called decent appearance at the risk of longevity and the thought of danger and future damage are trivialised, allowing these chancers to continue putting our trade into disrepute. For someone to pretend to be a tradesman and undertake work of this standard is criminal.

Reply to Tiling Bathroom - Going overboard? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks