Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling a garage floor... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi,
Just returned from my hols and had a voicemail off someone who's bathroom I tiled last year.
He has asked if I could tile his garage floor,thats all I know at the minute,but want to arm myself with some knowledge when i c ring him back.

I think he uses it for his car, and would generally think to tile a normal concrete based floor,rapid set powdered adhesive would be ok.

Do you think I should recommend a certain tile to use,obviously not a shiny 6x6 ceramic, but would like any input please.

Thanks guys.
Vinnie.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Personally i think a vitrified tile will be best and a solid bed fix to ensure no voids what so ever... you need to see the floor..as there might be oil contamination or paint etc...

B

bluevin123

Thanks Dave,
Is a vitrified tile more of a tougher tile and less porous?
I know it will have to withstand a lot of weight? is it like a Porcelain tile?
Thanks.
Vinnie.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Yes a harder tile...fired at higher temp to vitrify , and porcelan is ideal as well...most car showrooms are done in porcelain tiles..

Check the pei rating of the tiles to suitabilty for the job...

Class 0 - No Foot Traffic:

Wall tile only and should not be used on floors.

Class 1 - Very light traffic:

Very low foot traffic, bare foot only. (Master Ensuite, spa bathroom).

Class 2 - Light Traffic:

Slipper or soft-soled shoes. Second level main bathroom areas, bedrooms.

Class 3 - Light to Moderate Traffic:

Any residential area with the possible exception of some entries and kitchens if extremely heavy or abrasive traffic is anticipated.

Class 4 - Moderate to Heavy Traffic:

High foot traffic, areas where abrasive or outside dirt could be tracked. Residential entry, kitchen, balcony, and countertop.

Class 5 - Heavy Traffic:

Ceramic tile suggested for residential, commercial and institutional floor subjected to heavy traffic.

this will help..>>> Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Apart from the tile choice as per Dave - make sure you have some protection for the front edge where the vehicles drive over, always a weak spot.
If the floor has red/coloured paint a scarifier will cost over £120-00 to hire, and remember the garage floor is usually a friday afternoon job for the apprentice!

Timeless John.

Reply to Tiling a garage floor... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen