Currently reading:
Tiles for kitchen worktop

Discuss Tiles for kitchen worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Shultzy

TF
I am building a new kitchen and swimbo has convinced me that a tiled worktop would be good. 35 years ago I embedded large floor tiles either side of the cooker and have not seen any adverse effects. Recently we saw floor tiles in one of the sheds which had a specific warning on the box "Not to be used for food preparation".

My questions are :-

what type of tile is safe for use in kitchens (600mmx600mm floor tiles not black granite), and where do I get them from?

P

Pebbs

Black granite is difficult to avoid staining because of one factor and this has nothing to do with the sealers used on them. Many of the black granites have calcuim binders in them, and should any acidic substances be left on them then it will etch the granite. It literally leeches into the granite and then it calls for a 'polish out' the problem then is a hand polish will never be as satisfactory as a machine polish.

Pebbs

Reply to Tiles for kitchen worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.