Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles for kitchen worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Shultzy

TF
Reaction score
I am building a new kitchen and swimbo has convinced me that a tiled worktop would be good. 35 years ago I embedded large floor tiles either side of the cooker and have not seen any adverse effects. Recently we saw floor tiles in one of the sheds which had a specific warning on the box "Not to be used for food preparation".

My questions are :-

what type of tile is safe for use in kitchens (600mmx600mm floor tiles not black granite), and where do I get them from?

J

jay

Think you need to find a glazed tile or porc if its glazed food can not contaminate it ,might be worth a thought to use epoxy grout as well

T

Topshop

Never really thought of it but I think the warning is there because many glazes have lead in them. You should use a tile that has been glazed like your morning coffee cup - food safe.

If you go slab granite you will not have that problem - or the grout lines to clean constantly.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pebbs

Black granite is difficult to avoid staining because of one factor and this has nothing to do with the sealers used on them. Many of the black granites have calcuim binders in them, and should any acidic substances be left on them then it will etch the granite. It literally leeches into the granite and then it calls for a 'polish out' the problem then is a hand polish will never be as satisfactory as a machine polish.

Pebbs

Shultzy

TF
Reaction score
Thanks Pebbs, that's one of the reasons we don't want granite and are looking for the right tile option.

D

DHTiling

60x60 porcelain tile and epoxy grout.

Will need to be glazed type finish to avoiding acidic staining.

What are you intending to tile onto. ?

Shultzy

TF
Reaction score
Dave, originally it was MDF but others on this site have said it needs to be cement board, although its not been specified why.

M

Mike

that will be fine, but to make sure screw the cement board every 150mm. some shops sell them 1200 x 600 so that would be less cutting and possibly waste

Reply to Tiles for kitchen worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen