Search the forum,

Discuss Tile to weight ratio in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

There's been a fair bit of debate on this one, So I phoned British Gypsum and spoke to there tech line, Is as follows;

They reccomend that you don't tile directly to standard plasterboard, Should be skimmed first. 20kg

Moisture resistant board can be tiled onto directly at 32kg

Float and set is 20kg

I'm sure this will cause some discussion, Tiling direct onto plasterboard was the one that surprised me

Rang BG again about the standard board and had a different answer, Would be ok in a dry or small area to tile onto. Thats from two different techi's:mad2: Just trying to get the facts right

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Thanks for that Whitebeam. Must say I am confused now. I was taught that you can tile directly to plasterboard (no skim) without the need for primer and that the max weight was 32kg. In a previous post you corrected me on the weight issue which I accept. Only BAL say you have to prime plasterboard as far as I am aware. Why do BG say you can't tile straight to normal plasterboard, this is the first I have heard. Did they give a reason?

D

Droopy

As long as it is a min of 12.5mm thick, I thought you could tile direct to any plasterboard. Yes, moisture resistant is prefered, and required for bathrooms in new builds (as far as I am aware), but I didnit think it was a must.

As for priming, you do not have to prime when using our dispersion adhesives, but you MUST prime when using any Cement based addy, not just BAL's.

G

grumpygrouter

As long as it is a min of 12.5mm thick, I thought you could tile direct to any plasterboard. Yes, moisture resistant is prefered, and required for bathrooms in new builds (as far as I am aware), but I didnit think it was a must.

As for priming, you do not have to prime when using our dispersion adhesives, but you MUST prime when using any Cement based addy, not just BAL's.
The SystemArdex manual doesn't specify any primer for plasterboard with their cement adhesives!
Neither does the Weber Manual as far as I can see........

D

Droopy

The SystemArdex manual doesn't specify any primer for plasterboard with their cement adhesives!
Neither does the Weber Manual as far as I can see........

Seeing as the problem of Ettringite is caused by a reaction between gysum and cement, I don't see how one company's cement can cause it and another company's not.

If I were you, and using one of these company's cement based products onto plasterboard without priming, I'd phone their Tech line and ask about the possibility of Ettrignite failure.

G

grumpygrouter

I know where you are coming from James and I agree with what you are saying, but as far as I know it is only BAL that stipulate you MUST prime plasterboard. puzzling really. Not really an issue for me because I am only using BAL for walls anyway so they get primed but it will still now be an interesting debate I think.:thumbsup:

D

Droopy

I know where you are coming from James and I agree with what you are saying, but as far as I know it is only BAL that stipulate you MUST prime plasterboard. puzzeling really. Not really an issue for me because I am only using BAL for walls anyway so they get primed but it will still now be an interesting debate I think.:thumbsup:

These other companies must put a helluva lot of faith into that layer of paper then.
I always primed plasterboard before using cement based adhesives on them.
So I'm not talking as a BAL support technician on this issue, but as an experienced Tile Fixer.

I wouldn't risk a failure for the sake of some primer.

W

White Room

The issue that comes mind is most new housing is dry lined and I've tiled on new board with a site agent standing there watching me, Years ago on site we had skim the walls before tiling, Personally I will continue tiling on plasterboard when required but may use MRBoard if doing a full dry linning in moisture areas

Reply to Tile to weight ratio in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen