Search the forum,

Discuss Tile staining: Please please help!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Goose

Hi

I'm having an issue with stains on some black tiles that were used to tile our bathroom. Getting a bit panicky now as I'm wondering if we will need to re tile the whole thing!!

The tiles used were black porcelain tiles which were apparently already sealed before application, however since going back to the shop the dealer said they need to be sealed before use- contradicting what he had initially said :thumbsdown:.

It seems that because they weren't sealed there are a lot of grout stains (we used yellow grout) on the tiles and the floor tiles seem to look like they are showing the adhesive from the back!

I have already tried to use FS87 fila (I think thats the name) which didn't clean the stains at all. Then tried a grout remover which has bleached the yellow staining so its now white.

Is there something else that you can recommend I use? I was thinking maybe dyeing with a tile dye (if that exists) and then re sealing.

Any help would be greatly received!

G

Goose

Hi Dave

Thanks for taking the time to come back to me. I can take some pictures this evening and post. Dont have the tile name (I will try and get it)... but I do have an update on the cleaners we used:

Fila PS87 and LTP Grout Stain Remover

Was suggested to use Deterdek but I'm wondering if its going to work or just make things worse!

G

Goose

Hi there

Here are the pics...

photo2.jpg and...

photo.jpg

Was a bit tricky to get pics becuause of the light reflecting, but you should be able to see how hazy they have become as a concequence. I appreciate they arent high gloss tiles but I was hoping they would look blacker.

Any help would be wonderful

D

doug boardley

Goose, are they polished porcelain? I'm guessing they are, if so it will be very problematic to remove the haze from the unsealed pores.

I

Ian

Its a little difficult to tell from the pics but it looks like scratching, is it definitely grout haze? Do you know the brand and type of grout that was used? I've seen something similar when a wide joint (quite coarse) grout has been used on a polished surface.

M

Marble Life Ltd

There are products out there that will remove this but when you come to seal a colour enhancement may be needed but dont rip out.

G

Goose

Hi Bri

Sorry it took a while but... It was yellow mapei grout... dont think it is scratching.

Reply to Tile staining: Please please help!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen