Discuss Tile Adhesive Poll 2007 - Best Tile Adhesive For Floors And Walls? in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

McP77

Re: What adhesive brand do you trust most?

Going to throw hat in the ring and say Dunlop adhesive. It is one of the brands that Building Adhesive sells (the other being BAL) so it has good heritage. Can't really tell the difference between flexible rapid set (BAL) and set fast plus (Dunlop).

M

McP77

With regards to the ownership question Building Adhesives, the company that sells BAL and Dunlop, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ardex GmbH. It's on the BAL website in the section 'about building adhesives'

T

TonyJ

Gaz @ topps,
looking back at tjsmilers reply (Futher down the page) of the list of what he uses (very helpful for newbies may I add) My local Topps tiles says they only stock the bal blue star & grip, but don't stock white star (although they will order it) I get the impression that not all topps tile stores stock the same items. Is this correct? why is this? It's just that tjsmiler uses white star for showers & blue star for kitchens. Could blue star not be used for both?

TonyJ

D

DHTiling

hi tony i'm sure gaz will reply aswell....topps have swapped selling whitestar for bal grip instead.....blue star is ok for bathrooms but white star or bal grip is better.......dave..

G

GazTech

Gaz @ topps,
looking back at tjsmilers reply (Futher down the page) of the list of what he uses (very helpful for newbies may I add) My local Topps tiles says they only stock the bal blue star & grip, but don't stock white star (although they will order it) I get the impression that not all topps tile stores stock the same items. Is this correct? why is this? It's just that tjsmiler uses white star for showers & blue star for kitchens. Could blue star not be used for both?

TonyJ
Tony,Blue star and Bal Grip are fine for showers,but if it is a power shower White star is recommended.All Topps stores can get any product in the Topps range,but certain stores are not large enough to carry stock of everything,Preston is large and we do stock White star. IMO white star is the best tub adhesive on the planet.
icon14.gif

J

jabba

Its MAPEI for me, easy to use when mixing for floors and the tubs have a good grab so no need for battons upto about the 20cm size, the tubs are about £7.50, i could get cheaper stuff but prefer to have peace of mind. ( i still dont know why white kerraquick is 25% more expensive than grey kerraquick:icon8:

cheers, jabba

C

Cliff Anger

Just to clear up the confusion ...Ardex bought BAL 3 years ago. Bal own the brandname Dunlop. Staff from Bal left and formed Norcros Adhesives which is now a seperate adhesive company. Howtex was bought by Webber and Broutin and then swallowed up by St Gobain group which includes CTD.
Mapei are the largest in the world and still a privately owned family company

R

rossy

hi has anyone ever tried excelbond got a splashback in kitchen to do customer already bought it hope it good any advise....

C

Cliff Anger

Keraquick white / keraquick grey - the price difference is simply down to the costs of aggregate. White cement and white quartz sand are around 25% more expensive than the grey equivalent - hence the price hike.

W

webby

Have used Ardex for nearly 30 years.Occassionaly I use Bal.Both their adhesives and grouts are excellent.I get a very good regular user price on Ardex from my supplier.

Y

yrag1964

No-one has mentioned Sovereign, I use the their tubbed adhesive sovereign gripmaster, buy it straight from sovereign by the pallet load and think it it spot on (not to mention I also make over 200 squids on a pallet full)

L

len

Had heard that Ultra produce one of the other well known brands. Makes you wonder how many primary producers supply the market ?

Gave up on BAL after twenty five years. Too big a range of products,leading to overlapping products and indecision as to which product to use.
No problem with Ultra. Very small range. One primer does all. Change the setting time of their cement based adhesives to suit the season!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

scottish tiler

i loved nicobonds adhesive it was great but for about maybe 2years now my company use mapie wich is good to use as u can spread lots of it without worrying about it taken a set and it dosnt set fast on the tile either you get a good bit movement with it and it dosnt realy slip that much wich is great

E

elliesdad224

i buy granfix in bulk, two pallets of 53 bags each ,price is so low compared to what you are paying leatherface, bulk buying means massive discounts,

L

len

Just to clear up the confusion ...Ardex bought BAL 3 years ago. Bal own the brandname Dunlop. Staff from Bal left and formed Norcros Adhesives which is now a seperate adhesive company. Howtex was bought by Webber and Broutin and then swallowed up by St Gobain group which includes CTD.
Mapei are the largest in the world and still a privately owned family company

I swear that Norcros 'went back' to using the Bal name a year or two ago ????

Reply to Tile Adhesive Poll 2007 - Best Tile Adhesive For Floors And Walls? in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks