Search the forum,

Discuss the cost of drilling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fred

I include the holes with the job, unless I have seen that the tiles are really hard porcelain, then I add maybe £20 more on the whole price. After all, we have to re-new the drills and they are not cheap.

B

BuyBrandTools

mr protiler

what marcrist drill sizes do you carry for bathroom fitting??

i am ordering some this week and i want to keep the cost down abit

also, how many holes are you getting out of the marcrist bits..i have heard various rumours, some say around 60, some say over a hundred, just thought id ask seeing that you use them

cheers
ed

Hi Ed - Richard from 365 has undertaken extensive research and has found 6mm, 8mm, 16mm, 30mm and 40mm to be some of the most common sizes.

The Marcrist drill bits are supposed to cut around 600-700 on porcelain holes but have been known to still be going after a couple of thousand holes on ceramics

P

protilers

6mm and 8mm a must have if you are going to fit soapholders etc.

i find 16mm (personally) to tight for 15mm copper pipe......i choose 18mm for that.
i also use my 27mm and my 38mm alot.....showerheads,recessed shower valves etc....

my advice is invest in quality....it will last.....for many many holes,
but because the are so expensive buy them as you need them....if your next job only requires the 18mm for rad pipes hanging out the wall....just by the 18mm,all these useful things will end up in your toolbox as you go along........
along with some other stange impulse buys.....like my ultrasonic measurer (useless on a good day).......

good luck!

T

tiler burden

totally agree with protiler :0)

i cant see how if your in this business how you can not buy the marcrist bits from buybrandtools.com (or whoever gives you the best deal??) you only have to work out the price and the amount of holes they cut in order to realise that marcrist are the best 'pound for pound solution'....i was looking at buying the starterkit with the 6mm bit, drill guide and water swivel. the 8mm the 19mm (agree with pt, the extra couple of mm either side is needed) the 36mm and the 44 mm, that lot comes to about £350 and you will get 600-700 on grade 5 porcelain.. how can any budget drill bit
compete with that , the answer is it cant...

gaz made a point about quality last week and paying for it and this is a prime example..

thanks to neil @ buybrand and protiler (ps protiler, your website is brilliant mate!!!) was it alot

ed

finally, to anyone readng this, dont get confused with the marcrist bits like i did, the 750 range do 60 holes per bit on porc and the 850 range are the big boys!!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

protilers

tiler burden.......sometimes things are worth paying for....like drill bits,lasers and websites.......:lol:
p.s thanks for the compliment!
850 range all the way......the others are just like common ptc's

T

tiler burden

your right there mate..you can also add lithium ion batteries for your cordless kit to the list aswell

B

bigdaz

looks like I'm going to have to shell out for some diamond bits then :icon9:
its all pay out in the beginning. So does anyone use those arrow shaped tungston carbide bits?

T

tiler burden

dont worry baz

buy the 365dills and use them until the money comes in. just break the cost of the bits down on say 2 bathrooms, that way you'll at least break even..

its just in the long term the marcrist are the best thats all mate

ed

Reply to the cost of drilling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen