Search the forum,

Discuss Testing ufh in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

V

Versatile

Hi all
What do you use to test electrical ufh prior to installing
Or do you leave it to the electricians
I've got a few coming up where I don't know the electrician installing the mat
Not that I don't trust him to have checked it's all ok
But don't want to be out on a limb so to speak
Thanks in advance

Q

Qwerty

I use a warmup watchdog. It's basically a continuity tester which emits an alarm if the wire is damaged. I use a multimeter to obviously test resistance

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Multimeter generally. I wasn't installing when these gizmos were around but ring shout out to @Uheat - Keith to see if he can sort you out a gizmo like the warmup one for a good price. Pretty sure they'll know the score they're electricians.

O

Old Mod

I use a warmup watchdog. It's basically a continuity tester which emits an alarm if the wire is damaged. I use a multimeter to obviously test resistance
That's the fingy Geoff, couldn't for the life of me think what it was called! So for once I kept quiet! Haha
Well.......almost!:D

P

p4ulo

Cheapo Multi-meter here. At a few points during the install process the instruction booklet asks you to take a resistance reading and record it, so you'll need one at some point.

M

Marvo

There's 2 things you need to test for, continuity is one which indicates whether the heating wire has been broken. the other thing is insulation resistance which indicates whether the insulation on the heater wire was damaged.

The problem with the insulation test is that it will only really show if there's a problem after the heater wire has been installed. You could test the wire first before the install but you'd really need to dump it in water to get a meaningful result which probably isn't really practical.

Any cheap and cheerful multimeter will test for continuity, it doesn't even need to be calibrated, you can just self test it before use by shorting the leads. Insulation testing requires a megger tester which is a specific type of tester that's a bit more expensive.

M

Marvo

If I was a tiler (which I'm not) I wouldn't trust the installation sparky (which I'm also not) because after you've finished the tiling and the place looks like a work of art I wouldn't want that to be the time I find out the heater wire isn't working and the sparky isn't answering his phone ;)

Reply to Testing ufh in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen