Search the forum,

Discuss Terracotta synthetic seal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PhilH

Hi I am new to the tile forum and have looked at the advice given when I have been laying tiles myself. I am renovating a house in France which has terracotta flooring .The house ( and floor)is about 50 years old,floor is clean but dull and I think that the tiles are unglazed.
I was looking for a seal preferably high gloss that is simple to apply and low maintenance going forward.
I have looked at Universeal High Gloss terracotta seal or a similar product from LTP and Fila.
Can anyone recommend a product that is
a/quick to apply
b/ long lasting (more than a year!)

How long will the floor retain its high gloss.I was told by a tile shop that a high gloss will 'traffic' and lose its sheen in more well used areas but do not know over what time period.
I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me
thanks

T

Time's Ran Out

The products you have quoted will give you that quick sheen and protection of the terracotta, but will fade over a couple of months with a basic cleaning programme.
Always use a good doormat to remove grit/dirt and brush often with a soft head brush to retain the surface quality.
From experience I've always gone the route of boiled linseed oil sealant and traffic wax to polish, and although not the lowest of maintenance methods, it give the patina build up that not only protects the longevity of the terracotta surface but also enhances the overall appearance of what is a wonderful product.

P

PhilH

Thanks for quick response and advise on maintenance which makes a lot of sense.
As the property is a holiday home I was looking for the lazy route !
Are the products that I suggested all of the same quality?

S

Spud

there is a sealer called Bentons terracotta sealer it gives a high gloss finish and is zero maintenance you will need to apply 2-3 coats but it is polyeurathane based i believe ,last time i used it it was on saltillo terracotta tiles from Elon

P

PhilH

thanks Gary.Do you know where I can get this product-I can't find it on a google search?

P

Perry

I always used base coat of boiled linseed oil then a product made by Langlows called Patina you wouldn't need to put oil on it but could use a vinyl polish on top of the patina but any shiny surface will scratch down even glass or granite never liked bentens sealer and wax on top is high maintenance imo

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

I always used base coat of boiled linseed oil then a product made by Langlows called Patina you wouldn't need to put oil on it but could use a vinyl polish on top of the patina but any shiny surface will scratch down even glass or granite never liked bentens sealer and wax on top is high maintenance imo
I never waxed over bentens as after 3 coats it gives a gloss finish the only other treatment I have seen used over bentens was golv polish

Reply to Terracotta synthetic seal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen