Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Substraight advice for splashback in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Ok, strange one. My customer was advised to chalk his walls. He has removed the old tiles and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in the kitchen which, luckily, has left the walls in a fairly straight condition. But he had bought tubes of chalk and kind of applied it like you would with plaster to the whole wall. I have just used an aycrlic primer diluted 1:1 as per instructions, but this has weakened the chalk meaning I can basically scrape it of with my fingers. Any advice please? Using bal green star, 150 x 150 ceramic (cheap) tiles. Thank you

OP
Anthony Wills
Reaction score
Tried to get it off but it's left the substraight in a pretty crap state. No plaster in places. So I either try and scrape of all the plaster, cut out the plaster board and reboard or overboard with 3mm? Backer board.

OP
Anthony Wills
Reaction score
Update: the customer has spoken to his Dad, who gave the chalking advice. His Dad is a painter and decorator and has now said, "just PVA it, then when it's dry you can tile it, that's what i did in my bathroom" :flushed::fearscream: I've explained that you don't use PVA for tile.

It turns out the rest of the chalk came of easy, so I'm going to re-skim one area, then tile when it's gone off....using acrylic primer of course

Reply to Substraight advice for splashback in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock