Search the forum,

Discuss steam room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi all,okay i have a steam room to price after xmas its ina hotel complex with the possibility of a pool after it if the work is good and if i win the quote of course lol

1st off all i have no experience of doing pools or steam rooms its all domestic work i do so am looking for tips/dos/donts on how to aproach and price this,all to be mosaics i had a look on here but couldnt find too much info so any advice peeps would be great

i will also be looking for someone who has experience of this kind of work to come in on this job with me if i get it as it would be a great learning curve for me and also a good job for someone

R

Rob Z

Hi Kilty, any steam room job that we do gets done "by the book", which here means done by the steam room detail in the Tile Council of North America Handbook. Steam showers and steam rooms have legendary failures, so I think it's important to price them with enough to cover quality labor and materials, and if they won't go for it then it's DEFINATELY one to pass on. I can't help you with pricing but I can certainly talk to you about the methods we use here, if that would help you.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
okay chaps and chappettes,ive been trying to dig out info on this job i have to go and price between xmas and new year,so far ive only really decided that im going to advise epoxy grout for the mosaics and the room to be tanked

another question the customer has is that currently he has benches in the room but would like the curved seats installed that are to be tiled in mosaics,excuse my ignorance but can you buy these pre made? any info on how or what these are made of would be great

M

MTiler

For steam rooms I give a day rate, with materials being extra If I have to supply them. Ones Ive worked on the room has been molded by WEDI including the seats, and installed by the company installing the steam room. Quality of installlation is important and it varies. WEDI may have supplied everything nice and square but if its installed Word Removed its a pain. Both epoxy and cement based grouts can be used, but just use what is specified by the designer/architect or even the mosaic supplier. The steam room im in the middle of at the mo is using both types of grout!

Last edited by a moderator:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hiya miss tiler,thanks for the info,the steam room is currently already there i really need to go see it 1st to see what im looking at tbh

i had a look at the wedi seats deano put me onto and they seem good,are they 1m or 2metre lengths only do you know as i see you need a 1 m base to support each seat say for example my run was 3.5 metres can you cut these or will wedi do a bespoke size if you ask

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
miss tiler,youre in the middle of a steam room at present?? i know this is a big ask any chance of pics and a thread about your installationonce your finished? it would help me a huge amount and probably benefit the forum as i havent come across anything like that yet on here

Reply to steam room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen