Search the forum,

Discuss Squeaky tiled floor in the Tiling Jobs | Find a Tiler - Post Tiling Work Here area at TilersForums.com.

N

natalie stanley

Thanks for the replies all.

It will be impossible to access the floor unless I take up the tiles which is what I'd really prefer not to do. I don't mind living with the squeak as long as the tiles and grout don't crack. Fortunately it's not a high trafficked area.

Is it feasible that the tiles may not crack?

Thanks

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
you have a choice really. Live with the squeak and hope for the best on the basis it might be ok or take up the tiles fix the problem and know that its ok. leaving it to squeak is doing no harm and saves you taking up the tiles. Ok you might have to do so later on but deal with that then.

N

natalie stanley

Thanks Rich - all quality products used and there is also ditra. As I mentioned the floor don't feel so bouncy but clearly the weight is impacting as it squeaks a lot. It's weird that it's just started happening.

Thanks

N

natalie stanley

Hi all

Would do rather live with the squeak instead of taking the tiles up. I'm just trying to ascertain if it's possible to have a squeaking without the tiles cracking?!

It did occur to me that it could be a temparature thing as it's the joist closest to the external wall although it didn't squeak this time last year..

Q

Qwerty

Hi all

Would do rather live with the squeak instead of taking the tiles up. I'm just trying to ascertain if it's possible to have a squeaking without the tiles cracking?!

It did occur to me that it could be a temparature thing as it's the joist closest to the external wall although it didn't squeak this time last year..

A squeaking floor does not necessarily mean imminent failure. Numerous times I have been tearing my hair out trying get to locate the source of a squeak only to find its the metal or wooden joist cross bridges (braces) rubbing by a miniscule amount

N

natalie stanley

A squeaking floor does not necessarily mean imminent failure. Numerous times I have been tearing my hair out trying get to locate the source of a squeak only to find its the metal or wooden joist cross bridges (braces) rubbing by a miniscule amount

Ok this is good to know and I'm hoping it's exactly what you've said and will perhaps Coke and go depending on the temperature etc. I guess the best thing is just keep an eye and see what happens?

D

Dumbo

Squeaking is caused by timber moving....... a silicone joint around the edge will not stop this.

What you need to do is identify the precise squeak position then add more secure fixings to that point and possibly the surrounding areas so that the timber no longer moves enough to squeak.
You are probably correct but as he lady said it was close to the edge of the room I figured it could possibly be grout rubbing against the skirting board as she walked on the floor . And in an ideal world skirting boards would be removed prior to tiling but not everybody has the budget .

Reply to Squeaky tiled floor in the Tiling Jobs | Find a Tiler - Post Tiling Work Here area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen