Search the forum,

Discuss Squeaky tiled floor in the Tiling Jobs | Find a Tiler - Post Tiling Work Here area at TilersForums.com.

N

natalie stanley

Hello

I'm hopeing somebody can give me some advice - around a year and half ago I had my kitchen floor tiled. There is a wooden subfloor underneath which is made of thick ply, plenty of brackets and noggins between the beams and ditra.

Today I've just noticed that the area closest to the exterior wall creaks very loudly even when lightly walking. If I gently bounce it also squeaks. I've noticed it happens when I walk the length of the floor and the beams also go this way. It's a good 3-4metres of where the creaking occurs.

Fortunately I can't see any cracks in the tiles and the floor doesn't feel bouncy.

Any idea what it could be and if it's likely to progress into damage?

Perhaps the change in weather has had an impact to the joists?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

F

Flintstone

One one reason for creaks and cracked grout, movement in the floor, weather you can feel it or not.

D

Dumbo

The perimeter of the room should have a flexible joint like silicone or or purpose made movement joint if it doesn't this could be cause of squeaking

N

natalie stanley

Can you elaborate further, not quite sure what you mean?

It feels like the squeaking is coming from one joist, as it's the length of the floor and the joists go that way. When I bounce on it it squeaks every time

B

Bill

Squeaking is caused by timber moving....... a silicone joint around the edge will not stop this.

What you need to do is identify the precise squeak position then add more secure fixings to that point and possibly the surrounding areas so that the timber no longer moves enough to squeak.

Reply to Squeaky tiled floor in the Tiling Jobs | Find a Tiler - Post Tiling Work Here area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen