Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Split Face Tiles - wall prep? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Morning all,
I have a wall to tile with 600 x 150 split face tiles. At two local tile shops, I was told to remove as much of the paint that was on there as possible and then score the surface to allow for the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to bond well. I spent yesterday sanding it down (what a job that was BTW!) and will score it before I wipe it all down, sugar soap and prime it using the recommended primer for the BAL fibre flex us we have. Then we plan on slowly tile the wall over a period of days.
Am I missing anything? I was told I didn't need backer boards as it is a block wall and not a stud wall. We were planning to appoint someone to do it for us but since the lockdown and with time on our hands, we are going to do it.
Any final bits of advice would be very welcome.
IMG_20200409_070847.jpg
IMG_20200409_070859.jpg

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Are the tiles ceramic or porcelain?
If they are porcelain there is a good chance they will be too heavy for a skimmed wall.

If they are porcelain then over boarding with a thin backer such as Deltaboard, they make one at 4mm thick, or Wedi etc 6mm.

But either way you are going to need to remove more of the paint than you have, I find the easiest way by far is to use a wallpaper stripper, just don’t leave it on one spot for too long as the plaster will blow.

OP
A
Reaction score
Are the tiles ceramic or porcelain?
If they are porcelain there is a good chance they will be too heavy for a skimmed wall.

If they are porcelain then over boarding with a thin backer such as Deltaboard, they make one at 4mm thick, or Wedi etc 6mm.

But either way you are going to need to remove more of the paint than you have, I find the easiest way by far is to use a wallpaper stripper, just don’t leave it on one spot for too long as the plaster will blow.

Thanks for the reply. The tiles we have a these ones....

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Oh I see, you will need to overboard with tile backer then.

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Make sure you have some plastic tile wedges and if possible a laser level. If not mark a few level lines on the wall at intervals. Split face tiles aren't perfect in shape and size so you can lose the level easy, hence the wedges here and there.

Cris

TF
Reaction score
if overboarding with backer board make sure they are mechanically fixed as well as bonded with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/…. or you are just adding to the weight on the skim
[automerge]1586461881[/automerge]
….but I think if you get about 90% of that paper off it will be fine to tile on once u have sealed with sbr or similar

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've tried a million ways to remove paint and I always end up with my trusty stanley knife at the end scratching the hell out of it to be safe. Sweep then prime.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. We have been hard at it again today and got alot more plasterboard on show now. Keyed the area and will be able to get some more off again tomorrow (God it is messy work and I'm not popular with the wife!). Then we have some sbr to seal it. We are using BAL fibre flex plus as the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ as well.

We have discussed only going up 2/3 of the wall as we think it might look quite nice having the contrast and also means the wall won't be carrying quite so much weight.

Cris

TF
Reaction score
I've tried a million ways to remove paint and I always end up with my trusty stanley knife at the end scratching the hell out of it to be safe. Sweep then prime.

I use a flap abrasive disc on a variable speed grinder...…..with windows open and mask on :)

OP
A
Reaction score
That is exactly what we have been doing this afternoon 😂. It does a right job on it 👍

Cris

TF
Reaction score
there wont be a problem with weight on a skimmed block wall....just get as much paint off as u can.

Reaction score
Just my two penneths worth, but try to do the split faced tile in a random bond so as not to draw the eye to individual tiles. The small wedges are good to take up variation as they can vary in width and being square. But if you haven't got any then use some thin cardboard. Goodluck with the project. All the best

P

Perfect Tiling

Those tiles are 8-18mm thick slate....there's NO way I'd be putting them onto that wall without mechanically fixing a backerboard such as Hardibacker to it. A plastered wall will only take 20kg per sq mtr....thats for tiles and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ etc. You could have mechanically fixed these without scraping back all the paint. If the tile boxes don't have a weight printed onto them...stick a couple of boxes onto the bathroom scales.

H

hmtiling

I'd be mechanically fixing backer boards too. Skimming plasterboard or render ruduces recommended hanging weight 20kg per m2. These tiles are much heavier

Reply to Split Face Tiles - wall prep? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock