Search the forum,

Discuss Some general questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

ellisn

Hope you can answer a 'couple' of questions for me, no doubt I will be adding a lot more in the future..

When laying tiles the advise given is to lift the occasional tile to check adhesive coverage. Do you then just lay the tile back down or rework the adhesive with the trowel first?

If you have floor tiles butting up to wall tiles do you grout the join or leave a gap and use sealant?

I plan on laying 12mm ply or 6mm backerboard onto a chipboard floor in my en-suite, should I use BAL single part flexible along with the screws to fix it down?

I am using porcelein 333x333 wall/floor tiles with 4mm spacers on both floor and wall with white grout. The products I am concidering are the following:

• BAL Prime APD
  • BAL Single Part Flexible (Both floor and wall)
  • BAL Super flex wide grout(Both floor and wall)
Does this sound OK?

Sorry for so many questions first thing and thanks in advance for any help.

Neil

S

slinky

possibly better to use 18mm ply, screw down every foot,yes bal prime is best.
when butting floor to wall leave expansion gap of a few milli as the ply will swell so use silicone not grout .also best to rework adhesive when checking adhesion,
use rapid set flexi for floor this will cure ready to grout in 3hours,the grout is correct too.prime walls also if using same cement based adhesive.also if porcelain a tile sealant before grouting may be in order,good luck.

D

DHTiling

hi neil every thing seems ok to me but i would use balbond sbr on ply its better apd..thats more for softwood etc...prime the edges and back of the ply.. ( 12mm should be ok as long as the floor is fixed well before hand.)
dont forget to prime the walls as well.. bal spf takes aruond 16hrs to set..and will last in the bucket for about 5hrs..so no need to rush....

E

ellisn

Thanks gents

Would 6mm backerboard be OK? I could go with the 12mm backerboard but from reading some lit it seems that the 6mm comes in 1500 x 900 which would mean only 4 panels needed for my 2500 x 1800 floor as opposed to 5 of the 12mm 1200 x 900. That supposes that it is these sizes held by Topps. I would probably have to cut them down to 1250 at Topps in Swindon to get them in the Polo though.

I might also be going for Granfix 1 Part CFTA adhesive instead of the BAL as non-trade prices look a lot better. I can get 20kgs for £16 but I doubt non-trade BAL SPF from TOPPS will be anywhere near this low, will check tomorrow. Have to go and have a wisdom tooth out now so as much as I try; tiling is not the order of the day :cryin:

Cheers

Neil

D

DHTiling

hi neil as long as you prep the floor right then 6mm backers will be ok..
topps do there own 2 part flexi for around the £20 mark.. but gaz@topps will let you now on that one........

Reply to Some general questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen