Search the forum,

Discuss Small step into sunken lounge issue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tek_01

So ive essentially created a suicide step into my loungeroom. It is only about an 80mm step and because all the grout lines follow, when walking down the step you cant tell its there

when walking up, i am putting a border/darker colour tile on the face so you can see it there but walking down you dont notice the drop :mad2:

It is almost the same as this
http://www.doyleshomeimprovement.com/ (middle picture on right hand side, except my grout lines continue)

I havent stuck the face tiles on yet, but the top and bottom are done. I was thinking of putting a square metal tile edge on it.
Help =(
I should have listened to my wife (dont tell her that) and put a mosaic tile at the edge but i was worried about the strength of it

T

tek_01

But the top is already finished, so thats my problem
Ripping it up would probably destory the fibro underlay underneath, and cutting back the full tile would make it look crap as its not a full tile anymore and the porcelain is super hard so the grinder chips it no matter what blade i use. (have an $80 super thin blade, which cuts fine but not "perfect"enough for a shown cut of that distance which is about 3m)

T

tek_01

How would i go about that? wouldnt i have to cut back or remove the last tile as it is already flush with the upright face tile?

T

tek_01

I said that too, although she wont have a bar of it lol.
sigh.. never easy is it

T

tek_01

So finally got around to doing it. heres a pic
lets hope it stands the test of time
And hope that the strip is enough for someone to notice there is a step coming down into the lounge. Going up you can obviously see it now because of the brown tile.
45488b10.jpg

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Is that an L shaped profile that you have fixed over the finished tilework?

Reply to Small step into sunken lounge issue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen