Search the forum,

Discuss SLC or Hardie Backer to get levels correct in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

bowlegs

Hi All,

I’ve been tiling a few years doing work for friends and family and plan to take it up full time when I leave the RAF in a couple of years.

I’ve been asked to tile my neighbours kitchen, new utility area and hall following a new kitchen fit and a knock through into part of the adjoining garage to create a utility area adjacent to the existing kitchen. The kitchen as you would expect leads off the hall. Currently the kitchen and hall are tiled with 300x300mm ceramic tiles. The hall substrate is concrete and at the same level as the kitchen floor which is constructed of T&G chipboard. The floor in the utility area when complete will be suspended and boarded with T&G chipboard to match the level of the existing kitchen floor.

They plan to use a porcelain tile - mixed sizes (not yet selected). My plan is to remove the existing tiles and replace any chipboard as requiredthen over board the chipboard area in the kitchen and utility with 6mm Hardie Backer, however, the guidance I’m after is as follows:

a. In order to maintain the level from the hall to the kitchen should I continue to use 6mm Hardie Backer through from the kitchen into the hall - if so what would you recommend as the fixing addy?

or

b. Use SLC (cheaper option) to raise the level of the hall substrate to that of the kitchen with the 6mm Hardie Backer fitted?

As further background information they’ve also asked me to lay some new laminate flooring in the lounge which as you would expect is off the hall. I would look to raise the level of the lounge floor by using 6mm insulation boards prior to laying the laminate to minimise the difference in the levels between the lounge and hall floors.

Thanks in advance for your valued advice.

B

bowlegs

All the chipboard fllooring is on joists and will be screwed down at 150mm spacing along the joist line.

Reply to SLC or Hardie Backer to get levels correct in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen